Full time composers – Share your stories

Home Forums General Questions Full time composers – Share your stories

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

This thread is titled ‘Full time composers – Share your stories’ and yet it seems to have been hijacked once again by people complaining about the current state of the industry and how it’s all going downhill and whose fault it is.. There are so many places on these forums where one can read these complaints – it’s a shame some seem to think it needs to happen here as well

If this was in reference to what I posted. Yes, I currently do music full time. As well, I mentioned I now make more money than ever while I have decreased my output by about 80%..

#37643 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

”If all the full time pro’s are complaining….that’s something I personally want to pay attention to”

We’re not all complaining.

#37646 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Here is a great “story”

100 YEARS OF WHACKING THE MUSIC MELON

#37648 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Here is a great “story”

That is a great story!

#37654 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

“Making a living” is a very broad, undefined term. One person’s top is another’s bottom.
    There are an infinite number of variables that go into the equation of whether or not one can make a living composing production music. Given the right circumstances and needs, I think it’s possible.

#37754 Reply
    InLight-Tone

So for those library composers who are doing this fulltime, how important do you gauge investing your time into social media is to the success equation? It seems to me that many if not all library musicians are fairly anonymous. More important is to establish relationships with libraries that represent you in a positive sense. Is this accurate?

#37756 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

IMO – a long-standing career in this biz (if it’s even possible starting out now) relies heavily on personal relationships at the point of publishing. Not with end users. Again IMO, social media is not the place to develop personal publishing relationships. In their office, on the phone, in the studio is how you develop personal relationships in this biz that last.

I mean, I know it’s a brave new world. But those types of business relationships span pretty much all business.

#37766 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

IMO – a long-standing career in this biz (if it’s even possible starting out now) relies heavily on personal relationships at the point of publishing. Not with end users. Again IMO, social media is not the place to develop personal publishing relationships. In their office, on the phone, in the studio is how you develop personal relationships in this biz that last.

Just a question.. How many of us are in contact with their libraries, execs, and sales teams/staff. Just to say hi, check in, and see how they are doing?

I cannot explain how many times that has been the difference between someone telling me about upcoming projects, and that I was glad that I got in touch to remind them that I am available. This is a business of selling, cultivating relationships, and follow-ups & follow-thru..

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
Reply To: Reply #37502 in Full time composers – Share your stories
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us