Game composer / sound designer for 25+ years, (hopefully) branching out.

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Game composer / sound designer for 25+ years, (hopefully) branching out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MarkKnight
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m Mark and I’ve been working in the games industry for the past 25 years.

I’ve not decided to try and get a better work/life balance and work on projects of my choice, with people of my choice.

I have zero experience of production library music so am looking forward to learning more about this business here.

Aside from the music production side, I also have a live set using the moniker TDK which stems back from my demoscene days in the early 90’s. The music I play is predominantly ‘chiptune’ and I use an electric violin for my part of the performance 🙂

Cheers,

m

#29105 Reply
    Nbiloxi
    Participant

Hey Mark, I am fairly new to this game too but i’m always up to colaborate with people.Pm me if you’d like to work on something,Later joe.

#29106 Reply
    MarkKnight
    Participant

Hey, that’s cool – not right now though as I’m starting from absolutely nothing in terms of understanding. So I’ve still to learn what implications there are with me being a PRS member etc.

Have you listened to any of my work before then, I presume you have a rough idea of the style of music I write?

Cheers,

m

#29107 Reply
    Nbiloxi
    Participant

no I don’t really have a clue ,I just know a violin will add a lot to a cue.whats a link to hear your stuff? this is to some stuff that I do if you want to have a listen. https://soundcloud.com/user-71823473

#29109 Reply
    MarkKnight
    Participant

Oh blimey, totally miss understood you 😉 I’m not doing much acoustic violin these days though, electrics and effects are where I am 😉 To be honest, right now it’s the music production I need to concentrate most of my time on… need to build up a long term portfolio of music which is going to put some money in the bank…. most people I speak to seem to expect violin recording to be done for free, which sadly can’t be happening now…

#29110 Reply
    Nbiloxi
    Participant

lol makes sence!

#29112 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hello to all, and Happy New Year!

Just a little piece of “advice”..

I have several friends that are in both music/sound-design for games; and production music. Keeping in mind that you need to make things “Interesting, and catchy for both” I would say try implementing the same formula that you are currently using for writing “game cues”and just put them into a 2-3 minute format.

In my opinion the fundamentals are basically the same; you’re just getting to the point/hook quicker..

#29127 Reply
    MarkKnight
    Participant

Thanks Beatslinger. Yes, that’s something I’ve got to learn to do better. A lot of what I do is far longer than 2-3 mins at the moment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #29110 in Game composer / sound designer for 25+ years, (hopefully) branching out.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us