Gibson announced it is ceasing Cakewalk development.

Home Forums News Gibson announced it is ceasing Cakewalk development.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I never moved off of X3, though I would have upgraded eventually. I’ve used CW products since before digital audio was a thing. Even worked for Cakewalk many years back. Can’t imagine using something else and how SLOW my workflow would be in comparison.

#28934 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

This is devastating news for me. Arrrgh!

#28935 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

This is devastating news for me. Arrrgh!

Well, Sonar will be working for a long time so I’m not panicking yet. 🙂

#28936 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

i got the lifetime deal with them and a they did mention a dedicated team is supposed to keep it afloat for a few years or more…i wouldnt be surprised if the program/code will be sold to microsoft due to the talks, so we should still see a reincarnation of (hopefully) the same SONAR workflow on a DAW in the future….in the meantime, im dreading the time consuming task of bouncing all my midi tracks to audio (sigh)

#28937 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

.in the meantime, im dreading the time consuming task of bouncing all my midi tracks to audio (sigh)

Precisely. Presumably at some point in the future Sonar will no longer function. How do I want to archive my tracks? Pre-FX or Post-FX audio tracks? Stems? If this is 6+ years down the road, do I even want to bother taking on that massive task just so I have the ability to edit or rework old tracks? I will have to think long and hard on that question.

#28938 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I spent a morning downloading all my software from their servers, documenting the serial numbers and registration codes and archiving it here. I’m still on X3, supposedly the registration code allows you to keep using the software forever.

do I even want to bother taking on that massive task just so I have the ability to edit or rework old tracks?

I think it’s important to have this ability. Just the other day I called up something from six years ago to rework for a music request. All I had to do was assign a few outs as I am using new hardware since then. It was easy. If you do work for hire jobs it is even more important to be able to get to your past projects. I’ve had clients contact me a few years after a project asking for a stem, instrumental mix or something like that. You could say sorry, it’s not possible but that doesn’t inspire confidence.

#28939 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If any of you haven’t, you might want to follow the thread on the Cakewalk Forum here http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-Announcement-m3687511.aspx. Nearly 1000 replies but within all the lamenting there is some good practical help.

Clone your operating system drives. You can get Macrium Reflect Free to do that. I also use a stand alone drive copier.

I use a removable hard drive rack for my C drive. Easy enough to swap out if you need to use your cloned C drive.

Have a backup computer and disconnect it from the Internet. There are composers using Sonar 8.5 on Win XP successfully.

Eventually you will probably have to find another DAW. I’m going for Studio One, mainly because of Melodyne and ARA. There is another thread on the Cakewalk Forum about making that switch and importing Sonar projects (not sure how that works though) into Studio One.

Take a deep breath!

#28940 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Funny how we work the same Art. I use Reflect and my C drive is also in a removable bay. I only connect my studio computer to the internet when I’m forced to by software that requires a connection to install or update. The Ethernet port is disabled in the BIOS, I just plug in a wireless USB adapter when I need to.

I was thinking about setting up a second pull out C drive in the Spring, keeping the current one working. I thought I would put on the newest Windows, upgrade my Sonar and try out the ACID update that supposedly Magix is putting out. Maybe I’ll stick to the plan but try another DAW.

Any thoughts on Samplitude? I see it has the ARA Melodyne implementation you’re looking for…

#28941 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Any thoughts on Samplitude?

Couple of people talking about it on Cakewalk Forum but the most talk seems to be about Cubase, Digital Performer or Studio One. According to a number of people Studio One is being actively developed, plus they are also a hardware company.

#28942 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

spoke to a friend of mine whos at upper mgmt for presonus, studio one will have a very competitive crossgrade deal coming out for sonar users. I asked him about workflow and he said S1 has a shallower learning curve than the other DAWs…also asked him if its possible to open cakewalk projects directly in S1 and he said he itll be a major undertaking but will forward it for consideration….will see what happens

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Reply #28936 in Gibson announced it is ceasing Cakewalk development.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us