Good Advice

Home Forums Share It! Good Advice

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

He’s talking mostly about composing for film, but you can apply the same advice to composing for libraries.

http://www.thinkspaceonline.co.uk/how-to-get-work

#18034 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Haven’t had a chance to listen to that link yet, Michael. Rather than create a new thread, here’s some more good advice from Derek (major library engineer and composer) about breaking into libraries. He was also on one of the PMC panels. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10416840-post22.html

I’d highly recommend people spend some time on GS going through Derek’s posts. He’s a goldmine of information.

#18035 Reply
    AaronM

Both good, thanks guys!

#18041 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I agree, thanks Rob and Michael for posting. Was just reading yesterday an article that for most musicians, according to these surveys they sent out, where composing music is one of a few income streams and takes up a relatively small piece of the income pie chart (like 10% of their income comes from music licensing) and that most still make most of their living as musicians the old school way – gigging, teaching, session work making up 3/4. I consider myself a half time musician and make a commitment to working on music 25 hours a week. Is still my passion after picking up my instrument 37 years ago. To be able to semi-retire a little early (my job could easily go part time whenever I made the choice to do so) and mainly work on music supplementing my income gigging and composing that would be a wonderful thing. I have taught music lessons in the past and honestly would rather do what I do now then teach (more dependable). My regret is that I started on this endeavor a little late (at age 50) , wish I would have done it 10 or 20 years earlier. I had attempted to eke out a living teaching and gigging, but wasn’t dependable enough for me. Got frustrated and returned to school. Am now finding that working the day job frees me from worrying about things like “How am I going to buy food this week 🙂 (but not really kidding) and lets me concentrate on music. I swear the best advice in the video is if you want to have more time to write music, reduce the expenses. Pay off the mortgage, , the student loans, the credit cards, the car, find a house that suits your needs but doesn’t overextend your budget. Very freeing , and based on my research (did I ever mention I am a social worker/counselor) people who are the happiest are the ones who have their basic needs met and are able to take that freedom and enjoy the things in life that they are most passionate about. I work with folks with disabilities all day long and I consistently remind them that – yes you’ve been dealt a blow (in becoming disabled ), but you may find the one light at the end of the tunnel is that you get enough income from your social security/disability to meet your basic needs and have a lifetime to consider yourself retired AND still have the freedom to pursue your passions. Sorry for the long-winded post but this is a topic right up my alley and something I am passionate about also.

#18042 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Thanks for the link Rob… a lot golden advice.

One thing he said that jumped out, which is so basic, it ought to be the number one thing in everyone’s mind:

And the worst thing you can do for library music is to just write music with no intended purpose in mind. If you have no idea what the music could be used for, how do you think a library or client will?

#18044 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

At the very least, if I need inspiration for what to write next for a particular library I do as suggested and listen to some high performing tracks/composers in libraries I’me in and usually find something I connect with. If I get bored with that usually killer tracks top 50 or KPM has some great sources of inspiration.

#18045 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

And the worst thing you can do for library music is to just write music with no intended purpose in mind.

I’ll have to admit that I’ve done quite a bit of that. Mainly because I just like writing, like many types of music and like a challenge. Fortunately a good deal of it has gotten placed or at least sold on an RF site but I would have done myself a favor by being more focused. I now am.

#18046 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

And the worst thing you can do for library music is to just write music with no intended purpose in mind.

I’ll have to admit that I’ve done quite a bit of that

The key, then, is to figure out what the potential uses are for what you’ve written. You don’t need to come up with every possible potential use. But, the more that you can come up with, that legitimately fit, the better it is.

The worst thing, as Derek points out in his greaslutz post, is to have no clue what the music would be used for. Imagine going into a hardware store and finding a bin full of tools that you don’t recognize, you ask the clerk “what is this used for?” and he say’s “we don’t know.” “We thought that you’d figure out what it is.”
    Are you going to buy it?

#18047 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

When I started doing this a few years ago I too wrote just to write. Sometimes I still do. But now when an idea for a track hits I think 1.) what genre or genres will it fit into 2.) how will I title it, and describe it 3.) what keywords or tags will best describe it.

#18048 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

The Michelmore link is priceless! Love his wit and personality. Very inspiring, just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for the link!

#18049 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I join the group in praising these two links.

I saw myself so much in that video: same thoughts, same feelings, same worries, same questions.

And for Derek’s post, after going quickly through it, I realized how much gold is in there. I printed the post, and am going to read it again, in depth, with a fresh beer under the sun shining in my little garden… and let all this stuff sink in.

Michael & Rob, thanks so much for sharing these links!

#18051 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

I wish there were like buttons in this forum. I really like Edouardo’s post.

#18052 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Michael, last night I got to watching that Guy vid. He’s a great talker. Very British, too. Heh! I think his course would be great, bit exy though in comparison to Berklee Online.

#18053 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Good stuff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Good Advice
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us