Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning

Home Forums Hardware Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

My “C:” and “Audio” drives are nearly maxed out. I am planning to clone and swap them. I have never done a “C:” drive and I’m a bit nervous, but I REALLY don’t want to do a full reinstall of everything. I would appreciate any insight, guidance, instructions, advice, warnings. Of course I will back up all my data first.
    Cheers!

#23431 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

The audio drive should be easy enough. If it’s just data, files can simply be copied and pasted to a new drive. If both drives can’t be in the computer at the same time, first copy to an external drive, then transfer to a new drive.

“C” is more tricky, like you said, you’ll need to either use cloning software or imaging software. I don’t know if it happens these days, but in the past I’ve had problems with protected software and cloning/imaging. The software knows it’s on a different drive and assumes it is being stolen and won’t run. Some software may check other factors like the processor ID and motherboard and be smart enough to realize it is the same system and not being stolen. I guess you could check with the vendor so at least you’ll know ahead of time. Still, re-installing or re-registering some programs is better than a full system rebuild. And hopefully you’ll be lucky enough to clone the drive and have everything fall right into place!

#23432 Reply
    SteveW

Alan, I’ve just done this exact thing and it went very smoothly with no issues at all afterwards! I initially tried Seagate’s DiscWizard but kept getting an error before it even got going. So I ended up using another free prog called Macrium Reflect.

I was cloning a 500GB WD SATA (with 3 partitions) to a Seagate 1TB SATA. The only thing with the free Reflect is that you’ll have to resize the partitions afterwards using Windows or some other prog.

Good luck, Steve

#23433 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

free prog called Macrium Reflect

I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect and recently cloned my Win 8 system drive so I would have a backup when converting to win 10. Worked great. As Michael said you might have an issue with some software and would need to re-install or re-register. That happened to me on my music DAW when I expanded my C Drive.

#23434 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

FWIW- I also use free Macrium Reflect for my “just in case” image backups.

#23435 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Carbon Copy Cloner if you are on Mac.

#23436 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Carbon Copy Cloner if you are on Mac.

+1

#23447 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys, wish me luck

#23591 Reply
    Brian Curtin
    Participant

I’ve been using SuperDuper on my Mac for a long time and it’s been great…

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

They have a trial version available too.

#23593 Reply
    The Dude

I’ve been using SuperDuper on my Mac for a long time and it’s been great…

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

They have a trial version available too.

Been looking at this as a drive cloner. I always see people talking about a making bootable clone in case of a hard drive crash. Forgive my ignorance on this, but has anyone used this (or any other software) just to restore after a hard drive format? I’d like to set my system up the way I like it, then clone it. That way, when I decide to wipe my hard drive (which I do once or twice a year), I don’t have to go through the hassle of reinstalling all of my plugins and quirky settings again. Probably a stupid question, but I’ve never done a system backup before.

#23595 Reply
    The Dude

Just looked over the thread again, and guess my question was pretty well answered. Sorry.

#25154 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Kind of in a bit of a spot. My external hard drive may be going, according to the nice folks at Macintosh. My Logic pro files aren’t opening on my external hard drive – or they are but they are immediately crashing. This isn’t happening though when I open a same project ( as a test ) on my Macbook pro, so the conclusion of the guys at Macintosh: definitely a hard drive starting to go. SO:

Looking for a new hard drive. Currently using a Western Digital My Passport, although I’m a bit bummed that it may be going after only owning it about a year. Suggestions for inexpensive hard drives to start (maybe go with another Western Digital? ) up to other more expensive Raid or solid state configurations, that I can grow with, and some price points uf possible/handy. How often should you need to or be expected to have to replace these things (taking this drive to the store to verify tomorrow whether or not it is a good). My samples I use include the NI stuff, East West Composer Cloud, XLN, Spectrasonics, Etc. and I’m still considering growing into recording some orchestral music, something I would like to do more of by the end of next year.

Picking the brains of guys at best buy who run though RAId and solid state options. But none of them are composers. What are you folks using as far as the external storage and streaming goes and how is it working for you?

Thoughts?

#25155 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve been using the WD My Passports for awhile any they should last at least 5 years. I don’t think I have had any go out. That being said I have 3 backups of every thing. All projects files, mixes and sample drive. Plus I also back up all project files and mixes to my Amazon S3 account. I was keeping an extra copy in a safe deposit box but been kind of sloppy about that over the last year, really need to get back into that habit.

Suggestions for inexpensive hard drives

That is not a good criteria for backing up data. 🙂

#25156 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

projects files, mixes and sample drive

BTW the drives for those files (and backups) are not the WD MY Passport. but the larger 3.5 drives in a hot swapable rack. I use the My Passport for system backups.

#25157 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I’m a little skeptical of this “your hard drive is going”. I do have an old seagate that I also back stuff up on. But the drives are getting full also. Of course if I went through and looked at duplicate files and so on I could shrink those my quite a bit.I could be a little more efficient in how I use the space , I don’t always delete alternate takes and so on.

The project file for that particular project may for some reason have gotten wiggy. I’m re-recording again now, same project, no issues. Actually I would consider the Passports to be pretty reasonably priced and I’ve not had an issue up until now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Reply #23435 in Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us