Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning

Home Forums Hardware Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Chuck,

I use and prefer Western Digital drives. I have 4 1TB internal drives in my MAC and 4 1TB drvies in an external enclosure connected via SATA.

I keep clones of each drive. I use Carbon Copy Cloner: http://bombich.com.

I use WD Black drives. Green drives are OK for long-term storage, but not as good for heavy daily use. If they still make “Blue” drives, I’d avoid them.

Be prepared to reauthorize some of your sample libraries.

Best,

Michael

#25162 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Thanks for posting these suggestion guys. If the drive is indeed fried I will likely pick up on of those Western Digital Blacks. Looks like SSD are in a lot of opinions an overpriced option , but that is open for debate I suppose.

#25233 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I forgot to follow up on this thread. I cloned my OS and audio drives with no issues at all. Everything went smoothly and my rig is much faster now. Thanks again for the input.

#25234 Reply
    Chuck Mott

I ended up going with a Glyph Studio, but looked hard at the Western Digital Black. I still want one for recording audio onto, right now I have the glyph for streaming samples, and also recording audio. Thanks for the input all.

#25718 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

I’ve been cloning my system drives in OSX since 2008. I’ve never had any issues and always prefer this method for moving to a new machine.

I find (at least in OSX), the native operating system’s “migration wizards” to be much more of a headache than cloning a drive. You do take a lot of old baggage with you, so every few years I’ll clone, clean install a new OS, get everything off of the cloned drive I need and test for a couple weeks before wiping the old clone… I typically go through about 3 OS’s before wiping and starting fresh… so far it’s been a lot more headache free than migrating ever was…

Not a fan of the new annual operating system policy that’s become standard though… with the way things are moving toward more frequent operating system updates, getting comfortable with cloning your drive is essential IMO…

As for SSD’s. I personally can’t imagine not using them. I see significant performance gains now that I’ve moved everything to Solid State. I waited years to jump on the bandwagon and can’t imagine going back now…

The other plus of SSDs is that (‘theoretically’, as I haven’t had one die yet,) when they do die they just become read only. You can still cone and/or recover, just not write new data. That’s huge in my opinion… How true that is in the real world I don’t know but that’s what the claim is… Ether way I have most certainly seen performance gains switching to SSD and personally think it is well worth the investment… The downside is it aint cheap…

#25732 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

Also I can;t stress how much of a life saver this app has been:

DriveDx

In the past two and a half years all 3 drives it warned me were failing failed within a short time after… (ALL of which were Seagate! Avoid them like the Plague in my experience… 6 or more have died on me in the past decade, often after only a year or two…)

Anyway drive DX is great, it has zero CPU footprint and will save you a lot of headaches…

#33822 Reply
    TomRule
    Participant

+! on Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac side.

If you aren’t afraid of a command line screen, I use Clonezilla regularly at the day job [tech director for a high school].

We use it to create images of a prepped system [Mac, Win, Linux] and then prep multiple machines. I also use it to move a machine from one drive to a replacement one, and for bootable backups.

Free.
    You burn to CD and boot from it [thumb drive also possible.

As with most things in life, since it is free it doesn’t hold your hand as much as the commercial products, and there is no tech support [but a lively online commmunity.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Reply #23595 in Hard Drive Upgrade, Cloning
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us