Harman JBL speakers give studio quality at modest price

Home Forums Share It! Harman JBL speakers give studio quality at modest price

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #16089 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

I hope it’s too good to be true, I just bought the Mackie HR824mk2’s for my new setup. 🙂

It says the low end response is 43 Hz, so a subwoofer might be necessary…

#16090 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I just bought the Mackie HR824mk2?s for my new setup.

Have those and am happy with them.

#16094 Reply
    Steve

This one has been making the rounds. To me it’s clear that this is a planned PR stunt by JBL.

#16095 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Mackie HR824’s +1

This one has been making the rounds. To me it’s clear that this is a planned PR stunt by JBL.

I’m not sure what’s a “stunt” about it. The way this usually works is that a manufacturer buys an ad in the publication, or some related publication and they get a favorable review. Just business.
    That said, I think the JBL’s are still a consumer, not pro product.

I bought a pair of Mackie HR824’s in 96, loved them, but sold them when went to law school.

When I got over that, and returned to music I immediately bought another pair of HR824’s. Still love them. They have great frequency response, and a generous “sweet spot.” I’ve used them in three different rooms, and I like the fact that you can modify the response for the acoustic space.

The low end has an adjustable roll-off between 37hz and 80hz. Use the 37hz setting if you’re not using a subwoofer, the 80hz setting if you are.

Yes you can buy better speakers. For the price, however, the Mackies are a great value.

#16103 Reply
    Steve

@MichaelL I see it as a stunt because I believe USA Today would like most people to believe it was not paid for the article. The article amounts to nothing more than an advertisement, as I am nearly certain the author would not have had such nice things to say about these “studio” monitors if his boss didn’t ask him to write it.

#16109 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I think it’s interesting that folks are dissing these without actually ever listening to them. Maybe they are horrible but has anyone actually heard them?

#16110 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Pretty much what I said Steve. Articles like that, in the guise of “news” don’t happen in a vacuum. It’s not a “stunt.” More like a print version of an infomercial.

If by “stunt” you mean misleading. Yep.

#16113 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Not dissing them Art. The specs are not the same as the HR824’s.
    “Studio Quality” is a very broad term. To someone with a set of Genelecs or Adams, Mackies might not be “studio quality.”

Skeptical yes. Dissing no.

#16115 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Speaker design has come a long way even in the past 10 years, I dont think there are terrible speakers anymore in this range. ( I haven’t actually heard these) but lower end Yamaha/KRK etc are all good, so much so that you can see the high end manufacturers, Focal/Adam, making speakers for the lower end of the market. Ultimately you get used to your own speakers and thats your reference point.Some of the greatest records were mixed on terribly inferior monitors compared to todays ones.

#16121 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Some of the greatest records were mixed on terribly inferior monitors compared to todays ones.

Remember Auratones…Denis? It all ends up on earbuds anyway.

#16122 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I do and lets be honest NS10’s by modern day standards are terrible.

#16124 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Ultimately you get used to your own speakers and thats your reference point.

Exactly and to someone on a limited budget they could be just the ticket and a nice step up. It’s all in the ears.

Recently I was looking for some higher end headphones to replace my $100 Sonys. After a lot of reading and research many seemed to like the Sennheiser HD650 ($500). I really didn’t like the specs but thought I would try them. Really hated them and they went back. My Sonys sound so good now! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Harman JBL speakers give studio quality at modest price
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us