Having A Social Media Presence

Home Forums General Questions Having A Social Media Presence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    AaronM

I wanted to see what you guys thought about whether or not there is any value in having a social media presence as a composer. For example, sharing watermarked (or un-watermarked) tracks via rss, email lists, facebook, youtube etc.

Any negative or positive results for this sort of thing?

#15517 Reply
    AaronM

bump

#15519 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

i suppose that if you have a network with many labels, supervisors and publishers who would be interested it may get you somewhere. Personally I would not as I have always thought it to be too time consuming and would rather spend that time writing 🙂

#15537 Reply
    AaronM

Thanks a lot for the advice! As for the reason of the question, a few years ago I was promoting myself as an artist and now have a facebook following and email list. On my website, I am now promoting completely different music for licensing. I wondered if there is any point in trying to keep people engaged at this point. Thanks again!

#15540 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

few years ago I was promoting myself as an artist and now have a facebook following and email list. On my website, I am now promoting completely different music for licensing

Hi Aaron, welcome to the club 🙂

I have done this too, and all the time I used to spend on social networks is now allotted to submissions, tagging and more time in the studio! I thought I could combine (by making a “fan” section on my website where the social networks would be linked to), but gave up: too time consuming…

However, I do keep a distracted eye from time to time on them Twitter, Soundcloud, Reverbnation and other Facebook and post here and there to not let my network die. Most of my “fans” are other musicians and sometimes I make some unexpected encounters (sound engineers, other composers / musicians, and sometimes discover new music that pleases my ears). You’d be surprised also on how the standard Music lover fan is interested in seeing an artist evolution, for example the conversion” we both are living.

So basically, I keep it at minima (A few hours per month)

#15552 Reply
    AaronM

Hi Edouardo,

Thanks a lot for the great info and experience. I was sort of thinking the same thing. Maybe have an area on my site just for artist vocal tracks. But you’re right, the more I even think about it, write posts etc, the more I realize I could be composing a new track for licensing. It can be very distractful. Last week, I set up an rss to email campaign so that when I post a new track for licensing on my site, it sends an email to my “fan” subscribers. So for it hasn’t netted me any thing as most of these people are looking for new vocal pop songs but who knows. I’ve be watermarking my tracks though, just in case! I guess I’m a little uneasy about someone stealing my work haha..

Anyway, thanks again!

#15572 Reply
    Vyv Hope-Scott

I had an interesting chat with an architect friend last week about whether Twitter was worth it. He reckoned the point of it is just to keep your name in the consciousness of other Twitterers, so there is just a possibility that when someone thinks ‘I need a composer / architect’, your name might be the one they think of.

Accordingly, I now tweet the odd comment or remark but only if it’s about a gig, some newly released music of mine, something that makes it sound like I’m doing great things (which I am of course!).

I’ve also joined a couple of discussion groups on Linkedin, but like this forum it can end up with loads of library composers predicting the end of civilization as we know it. Which may be true but is kinda demoralising.

#15574 Reply
    AaronM

That’s a really good point. I never thought of it that way before. I guess the main reason for advertising in the first place is so that “when” people need your services, they’ll at least remember you exist.

I was actually thinking about including a link on my website called, “Hire me for your next project”. Maybe I’ll include it in my social media stuff too. Then when someone actually does need a composer, they’ll know right where to go.

As for the end of civilization, I agree it’s better to keep ones head in the music clouds if for no other reason but peace of mind haha.. In general, I think people get what they expect, good or bad anyway.

#15575 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Useful social media (I never really understood the point of Twitter for anyone other than politicians and celebrities) is a cheap way to get your music out into the world. Like Edouardo, I’ve found great collaborators through it. Several business connections have come from people discovering my music on Facebook, SoundCloud and YouTube.

#15577 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve also joined a couple of discussion groups on Linkedin, but like this forum it can end up with loads of library composers predicting the end of civilization as we know it.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much Vyv. Here, most of those library composers predicting the end are actually just one guy, using 7 different names. So it’s not nearly as dire as you thought. 😀

#15580 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Why not just have a real life presence?

#15609 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

Why not just have a real life presence?

Sometimes I wonder if you are really just a 12 year old trying to pester everyone on this forum…C’mon man. Seriously!?

#15610 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Sometimes I wonder if you are really just a 12 year old trying to pester everyone on this forum…C’mon man. Seriously!?

Social media is cool. But some people think that simply having a few social media accounts will bring sucess. Social media takes work for most that are effectively using it.

#15612 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Bradymusico, it’s better not to reply as by doing so you just feed the troll.

In answer to the OP. ‘Social media’ is an avenue for marketing and promotion of your brand and/or product. If you engage in marketing and promotion then the answer is obvious. How you do it is difficult. Email lists are a good idea for the long term, or perhaps twitter followers. You can then send out your latest album to all of them for example.

#15614 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Social media has worked wonders for me. Every time I upload a new track to Soundcloud, I get contacted by hot young ladies in bikinis who love me and my music. So who says social media doesn’t work??

😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Having A Social Media Presence
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us