How do you back up your tracks?

Home Forums General Questions How do you back up your tracks?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Greg

I have all my daw projects stored on one hd and do a weekly backup to another hard drive.  I don’t have any off site back up though.  In the even of my machine being stolen of physically destroyed, I would be sol.

What are you all doing to back up your projects?

#8169 Reply
    Sean

I do the same as you but probably not as regularly. I leave the one being backed up to off when not being used so it’s not constantly running.  I do keep some finished tracks 0n Dropbox but I use the free service right now.  It gives you 2gb but that’s obviously limited as to the number of wavs or aiffs it will hold.  Very convenient  for example, when you have computers in more than one location.

#8170 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

1) The OS drives on both of my Macs are backed up to 1.5 TB internal SATA drives with Time Machine

2) I have two external 1 TB drives that I backup all of my work files and instrument files to in duplicate. (i.e., the drives mirror each other). I have two other 1 TB drives for current projects. All four drives are in one ICY DOCK enclosure and connected to the main Mac via a PCIe card.

3) I have two portable 1.5 TB drives that I backup everything to, (including instruments), and those get stored in a safety deposit box at the bank.

4) I have midi files going back 27 years on CD, and audio files going back 15 years on CD and hard drives.

5) I keep copies of the serial numbers of all of my sample libraries.

6) Documents get backed-up to multiple flash drives

7)  I use iLok “zero down time.”

I can’t stress the importance of redundant back-up systems enough.

_Michael

#8171 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I have triple backups of everything and rotate one of those offsite to a safe deposit box. I also have all of my mixes backed up (in the cloud) to my Amazon S3 account.

Amazon has a service where you can send them a drive if you have a large amount of data that would be too slow for Internet backup. I’m going to send them all of my DAW project files and they will also be transferred to my S3 account. Amazon accounts are very affordable.

#8172 Reply
    Sean

@Art and MichaelL

Both of your posts are greatly appreciated.  I need to get on the ball!

Sean

#8175 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I have BackBlaze running in the background all the time. I do a manual back up of my projects about once a month, a system clone about once a quarter.

#8176 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

I have an internal 2TB drive that’s only used for backing up and an external 2TB drive for a second backup.

#8177 Reply
    axiomdreams
    Participant

I burn my sessions on dvds & lock them up in a PO Box I rented.

AxD

#8179 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Seperate 2tb fw drive for Audio and Sample drive back up. Once a week.

Portable drive for Time Machine.every month or so

#8181 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

One thing some people don’t consider is if your backup drive(s) are physically in the same location as your DAW (e.g. internal or external in the same room), fire, flood, theft, etc can make you lose everything. So it’s important that at least one backup is offsite– either a drive stored elsewhere or web-based.

I’ve opted for one daily external HD backup and one cloud service which runs in the background.

😀

#8183 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

yeh, Advice, that’s a good point and it has occurred to me. My internet upload speed is atrocious so I’m thinking I will arrange for an offsite HDD somewhere comparatively safer.

#8185 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

One thing some people don’t consider is if your backup drive(s) are physically in the same location as your DAW (e.g. internal or external in the same room), fire, flood, theft, etc can make you lose everything. So it’s important that at least one backup is offsite- either a drive stored elsewhere or web-based.

What Cloud service do you use Advice, yes I have my 2nd BU off site.

#8219 Reply
    #tag

i have several back ups of my projects and sound library.

one of them is offsite, but i would reccomend somewhere that is easily and quickly reached in any time of the day.

Otherwise I found offsite backups to be never as up to date as they should, and if anything happens to your house/studio… (i’ve heard of hd being stolen in house robberies)

cloud storage hasn’t got the capacity and the speed i’d require yet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: How do you back up your tracks?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us