How important do you think it is to offer alternate versions in RF libraries?

Home Forums General Questions How important do you think it is to offer alternate versions in RF libraries?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Walden
    Participant

Hi All:
    How important do you think it is to offer alternate versions to the main version, in RF libraries?
    Can someone give me your opinion please?
    Does it worth $$ the time spent to make the edits?
    If that is the case, which edits do you recommend? 30″, 60″
    Does it apply to all kind of cues, songs and genre?

Thanks for your help ¡

#31789 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

How important do you think it is to offer alternate versions to the main version, in RF libraries?

Absolutely! Was just looking at a cue that has not sold well except for DnB version. That version generated over $1k on one RF site alone.

One of my biggest sellers on an RF site is a 30sec. version that has generated thousands of dollars.

I do DnB, Bed, No Drums, Loop, Sting, 15, 30 and 60 all genres.

So, a big YES!

#31790 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

I wouldnt make anything without 30sec cues…real talk

#31791 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

It’s certainly very important to do alt versions for your RF tracks.
    The previous 2 months i got 14 sales in one RF site and only 1(!) of them was the main version.The rest were mostly DnB,No Lead Melody and Sting versions.
    My 2nd best selling track in the same site is a DnB version.
    In another RF site,i got a No Lead Melody sale for a national tv commercial in Taiwan.

All the alt versions Art mentioned above can get you sales in the RF libraries.

#31793 Reply
    InLightTone
    Participant

Can anyone chime in on pricing advice for alt versions? Thanks!

#31794 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Can anyone chime in on pricing advice for alt versions? Thanks!

Generally, I price them all the same ($39.95) except for loops and stingers ($19.95). On best sellers I go as high as $59.95.

#31796 Reply
    Walden
    Participant

Thanks Art, InLightTone, Kubed and boinkeee2000 for your helpful comments, by the way, can someone explain to me what it is a loop version?

Thank you.

#31798 Reply
    BrianMcGravey
    Participant

A loop version is a usually a shortened version of the song that is “loopable”. So if you copied and pasted it several times back to back, it would seamlessly play over and over. It allows the client to use it no matter how long the scene is. In your DAW just highlight a segment of the track and make sure it sounds fine/smooth as it keeps repeating.

#31800 Reply
    Walden
    Participant

Got it. Thank you BrianMcGravey

#31801 Reply
    LuvMusic
    Participant

It is extremely important! I would say that at least half of my sales on the RF market are the alt versions.

#31802 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

to clarify, i would’nt make anything (incomewise) without edits for RF…i mentioned 30sec edits cause ironically its 90% of my revenue… thus i even started making multiple 30sec edits of a single track along with the main, alts, no melody, no drms, 60s, 30s, stings, dnb, loops, etc, which helps increase your track count and visibility tenfold…i had an instance which a buyer bought 2 30s edits (acoust only and no lead) in one transaction without even previewing the main track (per analytics)…glad i took arts advise and implemented this strategy from day 1..

just sharing my humble experience with RF and as usual YMMV

#31803 Reply
    omre
    Participant

Art, Can you further expand on your approach (or a basic definition) to the “loop” portion of your alternates? Do you select a portion within the main groove of your track and break it down by different combos and loop those a couple times each, gradually layering on more tracks each round? Or am I way off here? Thanks.

#31806 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, Can you further expand on your approach (or a basic definition) to the “loop” portion of your alternates?

I basically take a 4 or 8 bar loop bed. My thinking it’s probably going to be used as underscore to dialog and shouldn’t get in the way of the dialog.

I wouldn’t layer and add more tracks. It would seem to me that when the loop came back around, to repeat, it would be an odd dynamic and probably wouldn’t be seamless.

On the other hand I know that some composers do make longer loops. Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

#31807 Reply
    omre
    Participant

Makes sense. Perhaps this deserves to bump to a topic unto itself? Thoughts regarding looping techniques that yield $ results?

#31808 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Makes sense. Perhaps this deserves to bump to a topic unto itself? Thoughts regarding looping techniques that yield $ results?

Sure, go ahead and start a new topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Reply #31807 in How important do you think it is to offer alternate versions in RF libraries?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us