How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?

Home Forums General Questions How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Two years for me

#39747 Reply
    soundroad
    Participant

For me it took about 6 years, from 2011 to 2017.
    I had circa 50-60 non-ex tracks to that time.

#39750 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I first uploaded tracks to one music publisher in late 2009 early 2010, then proceeded to upload all of my tracks for about 4 years straight. My PRO royalty checks hit at least $1000 a per distribution by 2012. So two years for me too. Foreign Royalty Checks took until 2013 to hit $1000, But by 2013 most checks were at least $3000 or more.

I’d have to say that it probably does take 2000 titles being published and distributed and ready for editors to access to make a semi livable wage. So come up with your 10 year plan to try and make a livable wage.

Look even if you are making $10,000 a quarter in PRO performance royalties, this is a minimum wage job and your hourly wage (to create the music) is probably something along the lines of $7 per hour. LOL!

This is a make money very slowly kind of business and should really only be treated as a side hustle.

#39765 Reply
    SMCM
    Participant

Mine reached 4 figures by my 2nd payment. I know that’s a lot faster than most, but I was dropped straight into writing 5 tracks a week for a very busy library focusing on American reality shows. So I had mostly US royalties coming from a US PRO for maximum speed.

#39766 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Just curious, what genre did you produce for these shows?

#39767 Reply
    SMCM
    Participant

Mostly stuff on the “cinematic” side of things as opposed to pop. Orchestral drama, electronic tension, orchestral comedy, etc. The more “film score”-esque genres.

#39768 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

How many statements did it take for the full timers to quit your day jobs.

#39769 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

If you have:
    1. a lot of Talent
    2. are alligned with the right music libraries that really get your music on air
    3. know how to create multiple revenue streams with your music catalog
    4. produce 50 to 100 very useful tracks a year for about 7 years straight
    5. Stumble upon lucky career breaks, where you land a few placements that really produce high royalty payouts….

I think you may be able evolve into a full time music producer after probably 7 years.
    I do not think you can pull it off if you just write cues for exclusive music libraries and then give them total control of the intellectual property in perpetuity, allow them to collect Content ID, and disallow yourself from selling on direct licensing markets.

Multiple revenue streams has been the key for me. Had I just sent cues only to my best performing publisher/library, my music composition income would probably be only 25% of what it is today.

Also annual salary needs vary greatly from person to person. I have two tuitions to pay next year so my royalties are going into my bank account and the directly to university bank accounts. Love it! LOL!

A single person in their early 30’s may be fine with $50,000 in music royalties.

My advice: don’t ever quit your day job. I still seek revenue and income from other non music related activities.

#39770 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Similar but a bit different here. I’ll modify a bit…..

If you have:
    1. a lot of Talent
    2. are alligned with the right music libraries that really get your music on air
    3. know how to create multiple revenue streams with your music catalog
    4. produce 200+ very useful tracks a year for about 10 years straight
    5. Stumble upon lucky career breaks, where you land a few placements that really produce high royalty payouts….

I think you may be able evolve into a full time music producer after probably 10 years.

So many variables though. Where you are located being one. How old you are being the second. Married with kids being the third. Mortgage of your own or living with a friend/family being a fourth. Have a wife/SO with a killer income being another…. So many variables. And again, I’d underscore – don’t quit the day job!! This industry is closer to crumbling than exploding at this stage. Hedge those bets.

#39772 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

>Also annual salary needs vary greatly from person to person.<

True. And doing this full time could require sacrifices some may be unable or unwilling to make…

#39773 Reply
    SMCM
    Participant

In response to Vasim, it was my 8th quarter/statement when I felt comfortable putting in my notice for my day job.

#39774 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

i reached over 4 figures after 3 years of receiving my first royalty check. but i have a ridiculously small number of tracks out there in rotation, just over 100 cues between 3 or 4 publishers. need to get way more productive in this game to make those bigger royalty amounts.

#39775 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

Hello

if you’re not reaching the 4 figures with 400 tracks. there is an issue.

Either you bet on the wrong publisher (they are bad and dont do anything with your music) or you are not writing the good music style wanted by TVs.

#39784 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

MY first PRO payout was a HUGE $14 back in 2014! It took about 5 years to start seeing at least $1000 per quarter but I would do things differently now. I started out in the RF field but have since totally abandoned it. I now average $2500 to $3000 per quarter… not rich by any means, but it helps to nicely supplement my other income.

#40172 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

Hey guys, wanted to share a happy update. Since posting this I did receive my first 4 figure payment! I’ve been working with exclusive libraries for about 2.5 years and enough of my stuff is finally published and trickling through the slow PRO system. Out of the 400+ tracks I mentioned there are probably 300 live with libraries. Needless to say it is exciting and encouraging. I probably wouldn’t be in this boat without MLR. Thanks everyone and cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
Reply To: Reply #39733 in How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us