How many music libraries are you in?

Home Forums General Questions How many music libraries are you in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jimandroz

Well, I’m in a lot of music libraries now. I’ve been at it for one year. I am looking forward to
    a sale(though I did get one, not too much money).

What is the usual length of time generally for sales to start coming in. I’m in 11 companies.
    How many are you in?
    Thanks!

R

#5470 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Check the poll here for a good example on the number of libraries composers are in: https://musiclibraryreport.com/polls-archive/

#5471 Reply
    jimandroz

Thanks Art! This is very helpful.
    How long does it take to start seeing sales like the ones in the article, if you’re good.
    Roz

P.S. Do you know the best World Fusion libraries?

#5476 Reply
    guscave

Art:
    Check the poll here for a good example on the number of libraries composers are in: https://musiclibraryreport.com/polls-archive/

Thanks for the link. I hadn’t seen this before. Interesting how 79% of folks who voted do not treat non-exclusives as exclusives, yet most have their songs in less than 5 libraries.

I would’ve thought the numbers of songs in libraries would have been higher.

#5477 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

jimandroz:
    Thanks Art! This is very helpful.How long does it take to start seeing sales like the ones in the article,if you’re good.
    Roz

P.S.Do you know the best World Fusion libraries?

There is no way to know that and “good” is a relative term.

Not to be evasive but what works best for one composer, and a library, could/would be different for another. It’s all about a lot of cues with patience and persistence, spread around a number of libraries. You really need a few hundred and be at it for a few years. Probably best with 1000 to 1500 tracks (I’m at about 400 and been at it about 6 years). There are a lot of variables so YMMV.

Don’t know anything about World Fusion libraries but I’m sure someone will post here.

#5502 Reply
    Roz

There are so music libraries. Is there really that
    Much demand for music in these venues?
    Do they all make a living?
    Thanks
    Roz

#5506 Reply
    Dan P

Roz:
    There are so music libraries. Is there really that
    Much demand for music in these venues?
    Do they all make a living?
    Thanks
    Roz

I would say some make a great living and most struggle.
    Its learning the business and finding what you do best
    and who sells what you do.
    Like Art said you have to try different things depending on what your music is and where it can sell.
    We have music at a handful of sites with just 70 tracks and sell daily at one of them but thats just started within the last year.We also have an exclusive deal that sends us money every quarter from sales at:
    non exclusive sites we can upload ourselves too.Whoops,found that out 3 years later.
    Exclusive can mean you submit the music.
    No other work involved.They do the rest including marketing and tagging your tracks,
    so there is something to be said for that if you dont want to do it.
    World Music?Hmnn if thats all you do you’ll want to find libs that either need that kind of music or other sites that can sell your style of music better than others.
    You’ll have to inquire as you go and cross them off the list.

Dan P

#5511 Reply
    jimandroz

Hi Dan,

This is great info! What I want to know is who is the lib that sells a piece of music for you everyday!
    Yes, I have been trying to target the companies that sell the kind of music I have. I have been at
    this a year and have 67 tracks. I just now started to get into the european market (london) and
    think this has potential.

I am in an exclusive library, but they haven’t sold anything yet. My question is….how long
    do I give an exclusive library rights on my pieces if they haven’t sold. Should I give them a year?

Thanks for your help.
    Roz

#5513 Reply
    Dan P

Hi Roz:
    Look at ratings for no.1 library by composers.
    Give the exclusive 2 years and then opt out if possible.
    You may not make any money until the 3rd year.

#5514 Reply
    Roz

Good idea to give it 2 years.

Another question I have is how does one tactfully
    communicate to a library, how is everything proceeding?
    I try at times to get a little info from them about things
    they are doing to get my music out and hear very little feedback.
    I do it in a friendly way, but what are some ways for me to get them
    to talk to me more so I can provide them with more of what will sell
    in that company, etc.
    Thanks
    Roz

#5515 Reply
    Dan P

A friendly e-mail every now and then to check the status.
    Until you sell some tracks to see what works keep the e-mails to a minimum.

#5519 Reply
    jimandroz

What is a reversion clause?
    Thanks!
    Roz

#5520 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

jimandroz:
    What is a reversion clause?
    Thanks!
    Roz

Any rights you sign away in a contract revert back to you after a specific time or if certain criteria isn’t met (as an example, an income threshold or placements).

#5523 Reply
    Roz Richards

Thanks!

#5525 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Roz: Good idea to give it 2 years.Another question I have is how does one tactfullycommunicate to a library, how is everything proceeding?I try at times to get a little info from them about thingsthey are doing to get my music out and hear very little feedback.I do it in a friendly way, but what are some ways for me to get themto talk to me more so I can provide them with more of what will sellin that company, etc.ThanksRoz

It’s always best to start your email with “Listen F*ckhead!”… HA… 😛 😉

It’s a tough call. You certainly don’t want to contact a library very often and become annoying to them. Many have a “If we have something to tell you, we will” policy. Others, more friendly to the inquiries. You could try after 1-2 years to politely ask if your tracks have been involved in any pitches and if they have any impressions. If they don’t respond, I’d probably let it go unless your email to them had more pressing questions.

The bottom line is as long as you do this very sparingly and are professional & polite, you’ll be fine.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #5471 in How many music libraries are you in?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us