How much do you roll off on individual tracks for more headroom?

Home Forums General Questions How much do you roll off on individual tracks for more headroom?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant

For both the bottom instruments like kick and bass and also synths strings etc. Just trying to get a feel for what most seem to agree on to help get a little more volume out of my tracks (and yes, I realize I can do whatever sounds right :). I’d just like to experiment with some methods that work for other composers that maybe I can incorporate whole or in part into what I do for better results.

#16340 Reply
    Barry

Not exactly rolling off but for pop/electronica/hip hop or anything with a big kick and snare, side chain compression does wonders. It can be very subtle and set at quick release so any competing instruments are simply ducked behind whatever you have a headroom issue with ie kick and bass.

#16349 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Thanks for that Barry. I have compressors with SC. Just haven’t been able Gasp the concept enough to use it practically to any great benefit but the way you explained it makes me want to revisit it.

#16350 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

@Pat, more headroom or volume ultimately can be achieved in two ways, reducing unwanted frequencies and reducing dynamics. If you are talking about a two track mix, cutting anything below 30-40hz with a steep hi pass filter. Sub bass like that is inaudible except with subs and club systems. You can hi pass individual tracks like this with a higher cutoff too for an overall cumlitave increase.
    Dynamics, wether compression or limiting on individual or master buss to taste.
    I think the important thing to emphasise here is that you should use the best tools you can, steep filters will cause a ringing effect at around the cutoff point, and all compressors and limiters are not equal in terms of unwanted artefacts. I personally would recommend all the Fabfilter plugins as incredibly transparent in doing this kind of thing. They do 30 day demos so no harm in testing them. The limiter especially is exceptional.

#16351 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

I’ve listened to quite a few of your cues on AS and your mixes sound great,balanced and full.
    I actually have all the Fab Filter plugins.I have all the (arguably) best plugins but my knowledge in their uses need to catch up. I put the Pro-L on Every Track.
    Thanks for the info Denis and I will take your advise.
    Pat

#16352 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

@Pat. Check out Dan Worrell’s tutorials on the Fabfilter youtube channel, apart from explaining the plugins he gives great general advice. A little bit at a time, it does get overwhelming to try and understand everything at once. I started working in professional studios 35 years ago, so I learnt little bits along the way and as digital audio came along I learnt progressively as it got more complex, and I still am learning !!!!!

Definitely check his mid/side stuff with the ProQ, basically you can sum the bass freq (100hz and below) to mono and cut it out of the sides altogether.He explains it much better, the end result being bass and kick are centered and all the redundant lo muck is cleaned up from the sides. Also boosting the sides at upper freq increases the stereo image.

#16353 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Hey Denis. This is great. The way you put it makes perfect sense to me. I’m going to check it out right now. 35years is a ton of experience. No wonder your mixes sound like that.I have many years as an un-professional.
    Now that I’m getting old and about to die, I have this itch to learn something. I believe my compositions are getting better but my production skills are getting left behind.That’s why after all these years I want to learn something other than by trial and error. I got tired of bumping into the same problems all the time without the knowledge.
    Much appreciate it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: How much do you roll off on individual tracks for more headroom?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us