How much per track for a complete buyout (incl. full artist share)

Home Forums Contracts How much per track for a complete buyout (incl. full artist share)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Hi everyone,

How much would you say that would be a fair price for a relatively new music library to pay for a complete buyout of a track / music. Meaning, once the composer submits the track and it’s accepted, it’s owned by the library with all artist and publisher’s share, in perpetuity.

Thanks!

#31365 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

once the composer submits the track and it’s accepted, it’s owned by the library with all artist and publisher’s share, in perpetuity.

Not sure what you mean by “artist’s share”? That would be a different issue. Typically a music library would/could buy out the composer and publisher’s share. Is that what you mean? Or are you saying the library would own the the rights to the song and the recording? Need a bit more clarity.

#31367 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Hey Art, thanks for the fast reply. All of it; buyout of the artist share (they’re the publisher), and owning the rights to the song and the master.

#31368 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

All of it; buyout of the artist share (they’re the publisher), and owning the rights to the song and the master.

Personally I would never do that as you are losing the potential of that track forever. For me it would have to be a lot of money. $10k maybe. It really depends on your own circumstances. Basically, how much you need the money. What are they offering?

#31369 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

I can’t say what they’re offering as it’s not fixed yet, but I’m very certain they won’t offer anywhere near that…

#31370 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Big libraries pay $1000 – $2000 per track for a buy out, where they get any future sync licensing income. Composer still of course gets all their writers share of the performance royalties.

That might seem great, but I wouldn’t sign a deal like that unless you were fairly sure they wouldn’t be targeting big license fees (like sticking to TV instead of trailers), and you really needed the cash.

Most high end trailer libraries don’t pay a fee upfront to own your music, but share the licensing either 50/50 or 60/40 (in the composer’s favor). Not great, but very few trailer music publishers feel the need (see: endless flow of willing composers) to pay for the music they get to own forever.

#31371 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Hey Mark, thanks. What about if they’re royalty-free?

#31373 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

What about if they’re royalty-free?

Not sure anyone here would recommend doing a complete buyout with an RF library.

#31374 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Why not?

#31375 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Since there are many non-exclusive RF libraries to work with; you don’t need to sell your rights to participate in the model. My top selling tracks have earned thousands each in NE, RF libraries. This negates the need to sell all rights for up-front money.

#31376 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

maybe opi is referring to premiumbeats, they pay upfront rf lib

#31378 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

I’m not referring to PB. This is another library, exclusive, full buyout with all rights, in perpetuity.

#31385 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Are you implying they want all your writer’s share too?
    Firstly, I’d personally NEVER sign something like that with a library. Do you realize how much one track could make you in royalties, for potentially decades? (decades might be a stretch, but if it’s a hit track, we could be talking 100s of $1000s).
    If someone asked for a deal like that with me, I’d throw it back at them and offer a rate per track for $150,000. I think I’d be ok with someone claiming they wrote my music for that much money, not to mention collecting the royalties for potentially my whole life + 70 years.

#31386 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Yes, all rights; they’re royalty-free model, though.

#31387 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

This sounds like the new PRO free direct license (real) royalty free library model that some european companies are doing including a certain swedish company. Complete buyout and bypass any PRO. Horrible money deal and very bad for our industry!.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Reply #31368 in How much per track for a complete buyout (incl. full artist share)
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us