How Much Time Do You Generally Spend on 1 Track?

Home Forums General Questions How Much Time Do You Generally Spend on 1 Track?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BrianMcGravey
    Participant

Hi everyone, I was wondering – what is the average amount of time you spend on an instrumental track? For the sake of this post, let’s assume the track is in the range of 1:30-2:30. I know that every track is different, but I’m looking for a general average. Also, how much time would it take you if you already have a template for that style, and how long would it take if it’s your MAIN style?

I assume if it’s your main style it would be significantly quicker, and if you have a template of course that will help it be done quicker too.

I guess the best way to answer is to say:

A. generally I spend x amount of time per track
    B. If I have a TEMPLATE already created I would spend x amount of time
    C. If I have a TEMPLATE and it’s my MAIN style/genre I would spend x amount of time

#31610 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#31611 Reply
    composer
    Participant

It’s all over the place. 1-20 hours. I don’t see any correlation between number of hours spent and likelihood of placement. Some just take longer than others. Of course it’s always worth my time to spend enough hours to do my best work. I work faster if I’m specific about how I want the track to sound before I start. I can always change my mind after I start if that seems like the thing to do.

Yes, a template can save some time. And if you’ve already chosen a palette, you have fewer decisions to make, and that can help.

If it’s a genre that’s new or newish to me, the first track may take 2-4x as long to produce but it’s worth taking the time to get the sound you want. It’s efficient and educational to make at least 2-3 tracks in that genre.

#31614 Reply
    Danny

I will agree with Composer. It can be 1 hour or 10 hours if I make changes, add a bridge, etc.

Sometimes getting involved in a complicated mix ,can take longer that writing the piece.

Regarding templates. Sure they are fine but I always find myself adding more to the template or not using some instruments in the template.

#31615 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1-20 hours. I don’t see any correlation between number of hours spent and likelihood of placement.

Yep, same here. One of our best money earners only took a few hours. On the other hand, some of that I have struggled with have done very well also.

Wash, rinse and move on!

#31617 Reply
    Paul Biondi

+1 It’s hard to gauge — with two and sometimes three cues in different stages of development because a day’s work includes working on a new cue as well as reviewing with fresh ears the cue(s) from the day or two before.

#31618 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

For me, they are not done until they are done. The bigger question for me is “Who is the track going to?”
    My Top-Tier Libraries, I can be in production on a track for weeks. I do though still have a couple cable network libraries I work with, and those can be finished in a matter of 3-to-5 hours.

#31619 Reply
    maxpower
    Participant

Anything between one hour and one week

#31622 Reply
    Kery Michael
    Participant

8 to 12 hours. Spread out over a week, as I’ve got a day job. I would love to produce more than 1 a week but that’s been my average.

#31628 Reply
    RobRoeder
    Participant

Usually at least 5 hours, sometimes as much as 15.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
Reply To: How Much Time Do You Generally Spend on 1 Track?
Your information: