How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

Home Forums Newbie Questions How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

• This topic has 57 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Xave Ryan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Steve a Christopher

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to Film and TV but I have been in the music business for 2 decades. I really would like to learn as much as I can and I am not opposed to paying for specialized information. I believe its possible to spend upfront and possibly shorten the learning curve. One particular course costs around $1000. Thats a lot of do-ray-me to starving musician/composers like me. But it might be worthwhile. My little man tells me to be careful. So thats why I’m here. Any graduates that care to weigh in? Can you give me the good, the bad, the ugly? Thank you.

#33826 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

I’d recommed Sync Academy by Jesse Joseffson… Its very reasonably priced , has all the info you need on licensing and an active community..

#33828 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

These “I can show you how to get syncs” are not scams, BUT I would take them more seriously if it came from someone “who has really been successful on placements/syncs, doing well into 6 Figures a year on placements ALONE; and not successful because of selling “how to subscriptions”. If that were the case (Sorry to name drop) Chuck Henry, who gives up great information for free; should have A Course!!

Now, for a really good “How To” Check this out. “Cinematic Composing LLC” is running a great special for 1 or 2 more days. THIS is something that can really help a lot of people; and it’s well worth money even at the full price!!

https://orchestrationcourse.com/course983i4oigjsl?fbclid=IwAR2PqTVZWfqbzaT76uWY8DVX3adExBAkLMQWZPPUZ9Z1uI7DVuXZjSC2Xxs&utm_campaign=%231-Dec19-ORCH1-Lite_1_TEST_I%26B_WC%3ACV&utm_content=FB+Feed+%7C+Event%3A+CV+1dc+%7C+Kontakt-5+-+Ad+120&utm_medium=paidsocial&utm_source=facebook

No, I do not work for Cinematic Composing; nor do I have anything against any particular “Subscription Service”. it just reminds me of that BIG Craze selling the “You Can Be A Chef TOO” racket that was happening some years back..

Maybe. it’s the season that has me so Jolly.lolol

#33829 Reply
    Steve C

The one I was looking at was from someone who has a long track record of success, no question about that. But what gets my head to itching is how he claims in his literature, that he feels the necessity to “give back”. I was thinking one could give back more affordably. After all isnt that the whole give back part in a nutshell. And yes, there is also something in the old you get what you pay for thing too. But it just sort of reminds me of the co-write for pay going on in Nashville right now. For the low low price of $2500 you too can write with someone who had a hit or two a few years back. As if some sort of magic will rub off on you by spending a couple hours on skype with your hook mind you, and you too will then be able to write hit songs by osmosis. Its just another income stream for these folks while they wait for lightning to strike again. At least with a course there is several hours of content that you could review over and over again. But .that might not make it better. But thank you both for the suggestions. I will jump right on both and check them out.

#33830 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

Jesse also has a youtube channel with a lot of free videos, interesting stuff. Another good resource is Aaron Davison’s How to Lincense Your Music website. You can buy single courses or subscribe for a year and get everything for a fair price, 100/200$ depending on the current promotion…. There are a lot of Youtube videos on the subject that come up in my feed, some interesting some less, but you really should check when they were posted since this industry is changing really fast. Stuff from 2 or 3 years back may not be still relevant, especially marketing strategies.

#33831 Reply
    Steve c

Are any of you currently on Jesse’s site?

#33832 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Yes I am.

#33833 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

But what gets my head to itching is how he claims in his literature, that he feels the necessity to “give back”.

Trust Me, from “experience”, If you really feel the “need to give back, you don’t put a price tag on it”.

As well, if they are not currently making “on average” at least $10, 000 per Quarter. “It’s just The Blind leading the Desperate and Blind”.

You want to get the big placements, do some research, and team up with someone that is doing well with placements; and you have different skill sets “that compliment each other”. Also, you’re on MLR. All you have to do is “watch The Threads & Postings closely”.

Maybe desperate is rather harsh. But, it wasn’t meant to be mean.

#33834 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Scams? Maybe. Waste of $$$. Quite possibly. What I suggest is that you do a little research. Two of the BIGGEST “sellers” of information on how to get sync licenses have virtually no IMDb presence – which if you’re not familiar with you should be. What does virtually no professional presence say to you? I know what it says to me. If someone has no IMDb presence and is trying to sell me a package to get into the industry……they had better have the goods. If they have the goods, it will show up on IMDb.

Someone mentioned Jesse Joseffson. So since mentioned by others, he seems to be fair game. Here’s his IMDb page. Took all of 30 seconds to look up… :
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8345353/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Two credits and you’re charging me HOW much? Haaaaa! Sync Academy? Didn’t it used to be “Music Makes Cash” until he got skewered by tons of legit writers? 🙂

I’m sorry, but my IMDB page has hundreds of shows, and thousands of episodic placements on it. And I give info out for free to anyone who bothers to ask.

There is another high charger who has minimal IMDb credits as well. Some might call this a scam (actually, many have), but I’d just call it someone trying to earn a living off of uninformed people who want into the industry without bothering to do their due diligence. And honestly, that annoys me. There are always these types of “let me show you how to do it” scams (OOPS!) out on the marketplace. To be successful, they have to have SOMEthing to offer. Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen, they are more about making money for themselves as they don’t have the placements needed to make a living at it.

Harsh? Yeah, probably. What was that Jerry McGuire said? SHOW ME THE MONEY (placements).

So take it or leave it. It’s your money. And my $0.02. Now devalued to $0.000437 due to streaming. 🙂

#33835 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Some might call this a scam (actually, many have), but I’d just call it someone trying to earn a living off of uninformed people who want into the industry without bothering to do their due diligence. And honestly, that annoys me.

The TRUTH!!

But, I do “somewhat” understand the need to get from “0-to-100 in One Second”. Because, there is this “Feeling” of “Let me hurry up and get something, because it is closing around us FAST!!”

Once You get a “general Lay of The Land”. You will see that “It really isn’t the crazed frenzy that a lot of people think it is. Just a MAJOR Bottle-neck in the traffic at the same area”. Kind of like the 10 Freeway in Los Angeles..

#33837 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

because it is closing around us FAST!!”

Yes. I’m sure it feels like that. The reality is, if you’re just getting to the party now, you’re a decade or two late. Sorry. It’s the truth. It would be hard to describe the current production music industry as a “growth” industry in comparison to a decade ago. Whenever deciding to pursue financial opportunities, the question I ask – Is the industry growing or contracting. For those willing to be honest, we all know the realities. The newcomers don’t, and they are looking for someone who will tell them the the opportunities are endless. Hence – these types of “how to” courses..

As for the 10….Hahahaaaa! I left LA because of the 10 Fry. And the 405. And the 101. And the 134. And the 210. And….. 🙂 🙂

#33838 Reply
    steve c

I love it, thank you guys. The truth ALWAYS sounds different doesnt it. I dont care if I’m late to the party. As for the business, like the NFL, I’ll take what the defense gives me. I have bumped up against the very best in the world in nashville for 18 years. Nothing will toughen skin faster than that. I only need a sliver and just a crack of light and I’ll get me foot in the door. And I know enough to ask the right questions. Believe me there are more than a few charlatans in the country music world. I also know there good folks out there like yourselves willing to share their hard knocks and save me a few. So I’ve come to the right place. You guys are great. I thank you and have a wonderful Christmas!

#33839 Reply
    Steve C

LAWriter, it sounds like you wouldnt mind letting me pick your brain? If thats okay tell me how I can contact you. I promise I am not a leach. I am not an official member here yet so I suspect thats why I cant message you.

#33840 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hi steve, everything you need to understand the industry is here in MLR, it’ll take time to read all the threads but its worth it…and pretty much all active libs info are accessible here for members with comments and ratings…but at the end of the day its all trial and error on what will work for you…as far as how to compose for library music, just go to a popular lib and start listening to their catalog, theres also tons of youtube videos on how to craft library music…once you understand the business side and the cue format all thats left to do is start write and submit.

one thing to keep in mind is to take everything with a grain of salt, there are no set rules and everyone is basically trying things out and just sharing their experiences..some advise saved my behind and am grasteful, and some hindered my progress cause it wasnt the right path for me…good luck and happy holidays

btw, the 5 fwy sucked so bad today with all the construction…sigh

#33841 Reply
    Steve C

Thank you Boink, I do believe there is a lot to learn right here. Excellent advice!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
Reply To: Reply #33834 in How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us