How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

Home Forums Newbie Questions How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

• This topic has 57 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Xave Ryan.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

also i did pay for services to get a jump on the learning curve when i started and heres my exp on that…

if you are new to everything and have the (disposable) budget for it, its not a bad route…theres a lot of things i learned from training courses and one on one talks with them and their community, like having a mentor or a friend in the biz you can sponge off…but its more on fundamentals, trade tips, and tools benefits, which in hindsight, i could’ve gotten for free if i just befriended a forum member here or in other forums….

most of the folks here dont like the fact that they are selling the dream and guaranteeing success for $1k, if thats what you’re after, yes it is a waste of money. if its to learn the industry and fundamentals, yes you’ll learn from paid services….do i think 1k is worth these benefits? no, I would say if i ranked them, the most helpful for me is 1) MLR, Forums, free content in social media (80%) 2) paid services (15%) 3) winging it and straight up corresponding with libs (5%)

that may change next year since im finally back home and will be attending conferences like PMC, sync summit, etc…I dont think anything can beat face to face interactions and hands on knowledge from the horses mouth…

in the end, looking back, pitfalls and mistakes are inevitable regardless on how much money & effort you throw at it to avoid them, but its really a good thing, experience is the best way to figure out what will work for you, not 3rd party info….my only regret is I wish i spent more time & focus on just writing, submitting, failing, shake it off, get better, rinse & repeat, than trying to find a shortcut or that magic pill for success….when the simplest solution to everything is just have great music avail and things will eventually fall into place (thanks R.B.)

hope that helps, im not a vet in this biz but i know how overwhelmed & lost i felt starting out thus would like to pay fwd through sharing my journey so far.

#33845 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Couple of things really quick

1) Would you trust someone to show you the way to The Gold Mine, when they have no idea where it is; and instead of finding it they started selling Road Maps to how far they’ve gone thus far?

2) How many of these Subscription Services have won any prestigious Awards, or received any “notable” acclaim?

3) If you want to get there the fastest? Put Your Bread up, retain a great Attorney, and let Him/Her Shop You. You probably still won’t get any further than “the method of earning Your Stripes”; but You will see if You have what they are looking for, or possibly not looking for..

#33846 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

I fully respect the opinions on this topic from the vets… you guys are obviously speaking gospel truth from your long term experiences.

From my perspective Jesse’s Sync Academy works because there are a wealth of tutorials, a vibrant community and the per month cost is very low. For a new comer like me (a little over a year old), it offers guidance on a general framework that I can adopt to approach this always shifting and nebulous world of TV / Film licensing libraries. The community offers their own guidance and moral support if you’re feeling discouraged for any reason. Needless to say, you use some info and others, you discard.

Just like info I gleaned from various forum and library topics here at MLR, there is a good amount of knowledge one can extract from that service too. Using both info sources, I personally feel I have gotten a decent start at a much rapider pace than I would have in their absence.

As always, everything I say is true only for myself. YMMV is the only reality in this business.

#33847 Reply
    Kery Michael
    Participant

oops. no delete post option?

#33848 Reply
    Kery Michael
    Participant

I’ve always found Jesse’s videos to be informative, though I’ve never signed up for Sync Academy. Marlon Gibbon’s videos are pretty good too, he does a good job just talking about the “basics” of the business.

#33850 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

<<edit>>. In the spirit of holiday good will, I’m going to edit this post and say just one thing : Caveat Emptor. Nuff said. Merry Christmas all!

#33851 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Wish everyone a Merry Christms! 🙂

#33852 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

This has me thinking that maybe I should actually start consulting people for a fee.

I actually know where “some” major Gold Mines are, and I have the direct relationships.

#33853 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

This has me thinking that maybe I should actually start consulting people for a fee.
    I actually know where “some” major Gold Mines are, and I have the direct relationships.

I’ll be your first client!! 🙂 🙂 I need some new venue’s…..

#33854 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Beatslinger:

3) If you want to get there the fastest? Put Your Bread up, retain a great Attorney, and let Him/Her Shop You. You probably still won’t get any further than “the method of earning Your Stripes”; but You will see if You have what they are looking for, or possibly not looking for..

That wouldn’t be possible for someone just starting out and learning the business. No decent music attorney would even take them on as a client. And the cost would astronomical.

Regarding courses. I despise the way many make it sound like you can just snap your fingers and huge sync fees will start rolling in. We know that is pure crap. OTOH, as someone else said, if you are new and want to get started in Film/TV music, there is definitely something to be gained. For example, there are artists out there who are just discovering that Film/TV is a possible revenue stream but don’t know a thing about libraries, how to target songs for Film/TV, etc. So as an *introduction* to the business, it can be worthwhile if you ignore the hype.

#33855 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

“gold mine” is such a false analogy…the only treasure involved here is what you create (if they see it as such), and the challenge is finding the right investor who can turn it into profit (and not screw you over)

#33856 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

There are people on this forum who actually know who I am, and the amount of strides I have made by using what I have gained here on MLR; and were able to make “Really Great Strategic Moves by being able to utilize The MLR resources”.

I have zero to prove here, and it would be a waste of time; Yours & Mine to even engage in a back-and-forth..

What Majors am I with? Would be an easier thing to answer “What Majors I am not with”..

peace and Blessings!

L.A Writer, You have been “Integral” in helping me on several levels. Perhaps some time in this upcoming year it might be good for us to connect!

#33857 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Perhaps some time in this upcoming year it might be good for us to connect!

Indeed!! <thumbsup>

#33860 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

whoa, this turned ugly quick…who spiked the eggnog?!?

#33862 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Back to the subject at hand, on this thread I think boinkeee2000 said it best regarding paid
    “how to” classes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
Reply To: Reply #33856 in How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us