How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

Home Forums Newbie Questions How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

• This topic has 57 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Xave Ryan.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Actually, the easiest way to “get going, and make far less mistakes” is over to your right of your screen. (In Red) under “Hot Links”, you will see the “Access Music Library” section. Start from “The Numbers, and work all the way thru to Z”.

I did it by taking it in sections, and reading EVERY Posting in each thread. Pay VERY close attention to the postings that happened between “Around” 2009/2010 thru to 2015/2016. There is a LOT of Honesty in them!!

When I was looking at potential Libraries, and would see something on the net/web. I would cross-reference it against the reviews it got here (Once again, paying close attention to comments that were made before 2016)

Also, now that you are a member, you will easily be able to come to know who are “The Lifer’s”; and will see that they (although some post a lot less frequently now) drop great pearls of wisdom, and tried & proven experience.

Good Luck!

#33865 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Thank you Beat. I shall take your advice. I briefly glanced at a couple so far. Curious…was there some sort of shake up or big event that happened during the period you mentioned/

Just being honest. It’s the same thing that is happening to the world as a “whole”. People have become a LOT more selfish & entitled; and when things were/are “more plentiful” people “tend” to be more generous with their information.

There are a lot of people that are here on this forum that are earning a living in this business; are now more seasoned, and have their relationships already in place. So, they are able to give really good info from a “this has been working for me, take it and adapt to suit your needs” perspective.

Also, one of the main problems with the subscription services is (and you will soon see this is where MLR will help you to excel!!) They have the “Majority” Bottle-necking at the same exact area. So, for some it might seem VERY congested; but for others that have gotten past it? “It’s literally an Open Road!!”

#33868 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

That’s a useful tip Beatslinger – thanks. The only thing I would say is that if the industry is changing so rapidly, are the threads, a considerable number of which date back 9 years, going to offer any insight?

#33869 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

It’s important to remember that not everyone has the same goals/interests/targets and/or already has the skill to make marketable music for Film/TV. (Yea, I know “marketable” can be grey)
    Market-wise: RF libraries, Broadcast libraries, scoring for film, etc.
    Skill-wise: composition, sounds, productions, vocals, lyrics, etc, etc, etc (not limited to)
    Sometimes I see a lot of painting everything with a broad brush here.

We know that success depends on 2 facets: (1) The music (2) The marketing. Studying libraries and sending submissions is good but there are those who also need to work on the music end. I meet people getting into this who don’t know what a cue is, how to make virtual sounds realistic, song/cue structure, universal lyrics, and so on.
    At times, I see too much focus on #2 (Well this *is* Music Library Report) with the assumption that the person already has #1 down. This is especially true from people who already have some or a lot of success- they lose sight of what’s it like to be at that level.

For people who are making marketable (again, grey I know!) music, researching libraries with a resource like MLR is great and this is a great resource. For those at entry level on the music side, the forum here has some info but by the nature of this site, probably not enough. That’s not a criticism of MLR at all which focuses on the characteristics of libraries.

So, although I don’t love paid classes, if they do the job for the initial push-start, OK. But also, for those who need it, forums, on-line research, Facebook groups, in-person networking (conventions, etc.), and even that mode of transportation company we don’t talk about it, can be invaluable. Not saying the 2 facets are mutually exclusive and some/all can’t be done in parallel.

So, in summary, questions here are sometimes answered with a lot of assumptions and the broad brush approach doesn’t take into account how what works for one may not work for another and vice versa.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all! 😀

#33872 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

No offense to MLR, but it “seems” that the more recent posts have not been nearly as accurate. Seems to be a LOT more Spoiled Brat Mentality lately; and Libraries have been getting some really bad reviews (That don’t deserve them) due to people being disgruntled about not being accepted.

I think that was MUCH worse when MLR first started (Been here since the start, maybe you have been too) and has actually quieted down a lot more recently. It’s one reason why I hate the ratings and wish that would be removed from the site. People give high ratings to libraries that accept their tracks, no matter how good or bad the tracks are. Highly selective libraries, usually the ones you want to strive to get into, get low ratings because people don’t like being rejected.

#33873 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

So, in summary, questions here are sometimes answered with a lot of assumptions and the broad brush approach doesn’t take into account how what works for one may not work for another and vice versa.

Here, you want some “Honesty”?

The reason for “The Broad Strokes” is because unfortunately we are living in a day and time where companies would rather “Troll the forums doing damage control, and harass its patrons; rather than actually doing good business”.

#33874 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

The reason for “The Broad Strokes” is because unfortunately we are living in a day and time where companies would rather “Troll the forums doing damage control, and harass the patrons; rather than actually doing good business”.

By companies, you mean the libraries? I think it’s off the point I’m making about different types of music, different types of markets, and how different strategies work for different people. It’s off topic with edge of an ax to grind with music libraries. I’m not even sure how my “broad strokes” comment went this direction.

I see very little of libraries trolling the forum and harassing patrons. In fact I can’t recall any harassment. I’ve seen libraries come on to defend themselves, sometimes rightly so, sometimes not so much. There are way more posts by people critiquing and sometimes beating up on libraries. And BTW, I’ve also seen tons of posts giving libraries bad press they don’t at all deserve.

All I’m saying is when someone give advice on how someone else could succeed, it’s important to know more about where they are musically, what kind of music they make or want to make, what their goals are. what they’ve already done, and so on. I wouldn’t tell a newbie who just got his/her first DAW and a mic to go out and get a music attorney (exaggerated on purpose). What I’d say to someone writing vocal songs is much different than what I’d say to someone cranking out instrumental cues for reality TV.

Isn’t this pretty simple? Anyway, Happy Holidays. 😀 (Last post on this thread for me so it can get back on track about courses. Arguing never has a happy ending on forum threads)

#33875 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

By companies, you mean the libraries? I think it’s off the point I’m making about different types of music, different types of markets, and how different strategies work for different people. It’s off topic with edge of an ax to grind with music libraries. I’m not even sure how my “broad strokes” comment went this direction.

I see very little of libraries trolling the forum and harassing patrons. In fact I can’t recall any harassment.

Firstly, by company, I am meaning company. As well, I have not pointed out any particular forum; nor have I pointed out any particular library!

I am speaking on what is “My Personal experience”, and how I now feel a need to not be as candid on ANY Forum.

You can spin this any way you want to, I could care less. “I know My Truth!”

#33876 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Actually, the easiest way to “get going, and make far less mistakes” is over to your right of your screen.

Does anyone just want to roll up their sleeves and get to it, finding out what works and what doesn’t the hard way anymore? I don’t. LOL

if someone could just tell me how to get rich in the production music biz, I’d really appreciate it. 🙂 :). I’m even willing to buy you dinner if it all works out. LOL

#33878 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Getting rich? That’s quite a leap. Did I miss something?

“Rich” is a state of mind, and perhaps a level of satisfaction from accomplishments that were earned the hard way.

I can’t say for sure, but I am “almost” willing to put money on there being more 6 Figure income Writers & Composers that have been on THIS Music Library Forum; than any of the Subscription Services.

LAwriter, I have had a few people say they would like to buy Me Dinner & Drinks (I’m a cheap date, no alcohol; and have been sober close to 9 years) because of “giving a bit of assistance to finding a couple extra coins”..

#33879 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

if someone could just tell me how to get rich in the production music biz, I’d really appreciate it.

Easy. Sell a “How to Make it in the Production Music Biz” course. 😉

I suggest approaching “How to Courses” that make promises with caution and a fair amount of skepticism. I’ve watched a few of the videos from one of the authors mentioned in this thread and I can tell you that the legal advice offered in one of those videos is flat out wrong and potentially harmful. The advice offered could make the difference between being able to enforce your intellectual property rights and potentially losing thousands of dollars or being prevented protecting your rights altogether.

#33880 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hi CMM, welcome aboard! in order to get more specific guidance on your journey, the folks here need to know where your at. maybe you dont need the basics, maybe you dont need to pay for any courses. maybe all you need to do is start submitting and getting your feet wet….

do you have any tracks your willing to post for feedback? whats your music production background? whats your studio setup? what are your strengths?

also, I think its still best to read up on all topics here, sometimes cetrain threads unrelated to your questions gets derailed but sprouts good info applicable to you…

#33882 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

LAwriter, I have had a few people say they would like to buy Me Dinner & Drinks (I’m a cheap date, no alcohol; and have been sober close to 9 years) because of “giving a bit of assistance to finding a couple extra coins”..

Good for you Beatslinger!!! <<thumbsup>>. Coins or no coins, we should still do it!! Will be in contact early in the coming year…..

#33883 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Easy. Sell a “How to Make it in the Production Music Biz” course. ?

Haha Michael!!! You are not the first person that has suggest that to me. Not really the direction I want to head though. As long as I can make a comfortable living, I’d rather be doing it writing music. More than recording, mixing or performing, WRITING is what makes me happy. Creating something out of nothing.

And I agree, a healthy sense of skepticism would be sage advice to anyone starting out. Especially for those leading the minions to the gold mine. 🙂

#33888 Reply
    echoflex
    Participant

I also joined Jesse’s Sync Academy for a few months after watching many of his free videos. It is not a scam for sure and you get out of it what you put into it. TONS of information on producing music for sync libraries – business as well. He gives you a strategy to follow if you are wandering blindly.

That being said, he is telling you that YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING with sync music. I agree with others on here that the ship has sailed for us new to the game unless something changes (please, please). Or you live in a VERY low cost of living situation.

I actually joined Jesse’s Syndicate which is his member limited group to submit to libraries. I was able to “compete” with other composers and get some of my tracks accepted. As a Newbie, it was a nice confirmation that I was doing the right thing and my music was good enough. So my cost was minimal, under $1000, and I was able to get into a few libraries. Not easy when you are starting out.

A site like Jesse’s Sync Academy is really helpful is you need work on your “composing for libraries” skillset.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
Reply To: Reply #33874 in How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us