How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

Home Forums Newbie Questions How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

if someone could just tell me how to get rich in the production music biz, I’d really appreciate it.

Easy. Sell a “How to Make it in the Production Music Biz” course. 😉

I suggest approaching “How to Courses” that make promises with caution and a fair amount of skepticism. I’ve watched a few of the videos from one of the authors mentioned in this thread and I can tell you that the legal advice offered in one of those videos is flat out wrong and potentially harmful. The advice offered could make the difference between being able to enforce your intellectual property rights and potentially losing thousands of dollars or being prevented protecting your rights altogether.

#33880 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hi CMM, welcome aboard! in order to get more specific guidance on your journey, the folks here need to know where your at. maybe you dont need the basics, maybe you dont need to pay for any courses. maybe all you need to do is start submitting and getting your feet wet….

do you have any tracks your willing to post for feedback? whats your music production background? whats your studio setup? what are your strengths?

also, I think its still best to read up on all topics here, sometimes cetrain threads unrelated to your questions gets derailed but sprouts good info applicable to you…

#33882 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

LAwriter, I have had a few people say they would like to buy Me Dinner & Drinks (I’m a cheap date, no alcohol; and have been sober close to 9 years) because of “giving a bit of assistance to finding a couple extra coins”..

Good for you Beatslinger!!! <<thumbsup>>. Coins or no coins, we should still do it!! Will be in contact early in the coming year…..

#33883 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Easy. Sell a “How to Make it in the Production Music Biz” course. ?

Haha Michael!!! You are not the first person that has suggest that to me. Not really the direction I want to head though. As long as I can make a comfortable living, I’d rather be doing it writing music. More than recording, mixing or performing, WRITING is what makes me happy. Creating something out of nothing.

And I agree, a healthy sense of skepticism would be sage advice to anyone starting out. Especially for those leading the minions to the gold mine. 🙂

#33888 Reply
    echoflex
    Participant

I also joined Jesse’s Sync Academy for a few months after watching many of his free videos. It is not a scam for sure and you get out of it what you put into it. TONS of information on producing music for sync libraries – business as well. He gives you a strategy to follow if you are wandering blindly.

That being said, he is telling you that YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING with sync music. I agree with others on here that the ship has sailed for us new to the game unless something changes (please, please). Or you live in a VERY low cost of living situation.

I actually joined Jesse’s Syndicate which is his member limited group to submit to libraries. I was able to “compete” with other composers and get some of my tracks accepted. As a Newbie, it was a nice confirmation that I was doing the right thing and my music was good enough. So my cost was minimal, under $1000, and I was able to get into a few libraries. Not easy when you are starting out.

A site like Jesse’s Sync Academy is really helpful is you need work on your “composing for libraries” skillset.

#33891 Reply
    echoflex
    Participant

CMM2020, you can probably learn everything about getting in the door here on MLR. You might find it more streamlined on Jesse’s site. He has a whole playlist of videos for the business side of things.

But you are also hearing it from ONE pro and a few guest Pro sync composers. Here on MLR, there are many more voices. It’s not that much to join for just one month ($20 I think) and take a peak. But you should do what I did and first go through as many of his free videos on youtube as you can. There is a lot of info there.

#33896 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

My $0.02 – not relating to any person or organization mentionioned here (unless it fits of course).

A question for the curious……

Is learning flat out wrong, outdated, shortsighted, or misguided “facts” helpful – or worse than figuring things out for yourself the “hard” way? Will it take you wrong directions? Will it waste your time and money?

Food for thought. Because of all the subscription / course based info out there, almost all of it that I’ve run across has run counter to my personal experience in the business. Just sayin’….

When I comes to libraries, a quick look at their web page will tell me what I need to know. Are they selling to “composers” or are they selling to broadcasters, production companies, videographers, etc.. If composers, I run. Fast. Waste of time. If someone is selling me a “course” of action to “make it”, I’ll look at their credits. One of my earlier posts pointed out a glaringly obvious shortcoming in a sellers reputation. I’ll leave it at that.

Getting involved in one of these organizations is a lot more than the cost of the program. There’s the potential cost of being mislead in the wrong direction. Again, my own personal opinio based on a couple decades + of doing this – not gospel fact.

#33913 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

Over the last few days, I’ve been reading many posts here on MLR and elsewhere, and there were people saying back in 2013 that the sync music market is saturated, that there’s no money to be made. 6 years on and guess what – there’s still new composers cropping up and existing ones selling music. Somebody in the future is going to be responsible for providing the cues for video games, commercials, TV progs, films etc. As long as what we do is in demand, useable, and put under the noses of the right libraries and supervisors, there’s no reason why that can’t be us.
    Happy New Year folks!.

#33961 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

lol! It used to be a frustration of mine when I first started that anything I thought was a good idea to pursue, somebody couldn’t wait to tell me how much better it was back in the day before I started doing it. I’ve since learned to tune that out for lack of being helpful in any possible way. Just do what you do, take what you can use and throw out the rest and I would completely ignore the “We were just in time but it’s too late for you” crowd. Just try and bring your A game. My 2 cents.

#33962 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

“We were just in time but it’s too late for you” crowd

Thanks Pat!
    HA! I do sound like a Grumpy Old Man.

GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU PESKY KIDS!! Hahaha

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 55 total)
Reply To: How-to courses… good ones, bad ones, run away?
Your information: