How to get air dates/times for a show on TruTV?

Home Forums General Questions How to get air dates/times for a show on TruTV?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    huge
    Participant

I’ve been trying to collect unpaid royalties for a show I wrote the theme for on TruTV, going back a number of years. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or service or even someone at TruTV that could track this info for me. Something like a TV guide record where I could search how many times it aired etc. Any help would be appreciated.

#19193 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #19194 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Was the song placed through a library?

#19201 Reply
    huge
    Participant

Thanks for the links Art. Not placed through a library. I was hired to write the theme. The short of it is that, when CourtTV turned into TruTV, BMI told me they had no contract with TruTV yet so I would not collect royalties. When I asked how long this could take, they told me up to 10 years. Turned out they had a contract with TruTV the entire time. I have documented meetings/emails/phone calls so I’m hoping BMI settles and I don’t have to get litigious.

#19203 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

The short of it is that, when CourtTV turned into TruTV, BMI told me they had no contract with TruTV yet so I would not collect royalties. When I asked how long this could take, they told me up to 10 years. Turned out they had a contract with TruTV the entire time. I have documented meetings/emails/phone calls so I’m hoping BMI settles and I don’t have to get litigious.

Oh gosh!!

Please be persistent and get your money. It is a shame when these things take years and years to be settled. I just wish that people would do business the right way and pay composers their money.

The weird thing about it all is that TruTV pays a blanket license to BMI to use music from BMI songwriters and publishers. BMI already has received payment. All the network has to do is file the cue sheets so the songwriters and publishers can be paid. No extra money is involved.

Frustrating how silly these things get.

#19210 Reply
    huge
    Participant

Thanks. Very frustrating indeed as BMI is supposed to be “on my side.” But the whole royalties system is changing. Whether it’s for the better or worst is still yet to be seen.

#19211 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Thanks. Very frustrating indeed as BMI is supposed to be “on my side.” But the whole royalties system is changing. Whether it’s for the better or worst is still yet to be seen.

Yes. BMI should be working with you to pay you. They already have the money. They hold a pool of money for unclaimed royalties. I just do not understand what the trouble is. If you have proof, they should review that evidence promptly and pay you the royalties you deserve. No, the royalties you earned!!!

Does BMI believe that you are trying to steal money or do something illegal? You created the music and have a right to be paid when that music is used for broadcast purposes.

I am rooting for you. I hope you will be paid all of your backend royalties.

#19212 Reply
    huge
    Participant

Thanks, I gotta say, they are really pretty horrible–at least the people I’ve been dealing with. Basically ignoring, not just me, but NBC/Universal (publishers). Called the LA offices and asked for their legal dept and was told “we don’t have one.” One is not listed online either. Basically had to call the NY offices and just try random people until I got someone in legal affairs. Turned in my documentation months ago and was told it would be forwarded to the VP of legal affairs. Followed up. Heard nothing back.

Even a “you’re never going to get paid these back royalties” would be welcomed. But complete silence is really inexcusable.

I’ll report back with the outcome for sure.

#19214 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@huge, call the Nashville office and talk to the royalty dept, you will probably have better luck there. Be persistent, patient and polite. They will help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: How to get air dates/times for a show on TruTV?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us