How to trust – take leap of faith with new companies ?

Home Forums General Questions How to trust – take leap of faith with new companies ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    adam
    Participant

I am trying to expand to new libraries – and am using the useful list which Art has kindly provided. However -chosing libraries is becoming somewhat of a leap of faith or pure guesswork.

We all now how Audiosparx or musicloops or revostock may perform but so many on the list are blank. Does this mean that no one has joined them ?

Or that we are keeping quiet and not submitting any feedback on the library – or more likely just staying clear of the library.

I for instance contacted ‘altarboy publishing’ – accepted – but can find no feedback on them – I google them and also cannot find much feedback. Its just a stab in the dark being willing to go with companies which have no feedback on MLR nor anywhere else.

What concerns me is that 1.its a total waste of my time. 2.the company is so small its going to rip me off ( somewhat of an assumption but certainly the first thing which always goes through my mind ).

I wish that we just had a lot more feedback on these companies. I am two minds now whether to take these ‘shots in the dark’ or not. I know that by doing nothing I gain nothing but am also weighing up the other side which is – time / worry / concern I will see no return on my efforts.

What are your thoughts ? I am sure many of you have had the same concerns when approaching companies with no feedback – little info on the internet.

#6919 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Adam:

That is a good question for sure. It is a “leap of faith” as you said ,going on a new library, or even ones that have been around for awhile. You never know which of your tracks is going to sell on which library.  When a library is new, there probably won’t be much feedback on them, and there are new ones popping up all of the time. You just have to take a chance and see what happens, and trust they will do what it takes to try and sell your tracks, and that they are legit, which I am sure most of them are…

#6920 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Yes it is a leap of faith in any business relationship. Think of how much more difficult it was before the MLR !!!!!  There is a general consensus about the strengths and weaknesses of a lot of libraries now, thankfully .

#6921 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I don’t worry about working with new companies too much. I have a large catalog, so sprinkling a few songs with a company here and there doesn’t hurt me too much. It’s kind of fun interacting with companies. Each opportunity is a learning experience.

#6922 Reply
    Dan P

Check a websites traffic folks and tell them about it.

Statmyweb.com and it will give you a better feeling whether the leap of faith is worth it.

I have done this to see what kind of upward mobility  a new sight has.

I have turned down companies that don’t rate and I stumbled on this by looking internationally.

#6924 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Unfortunately not very accurate.
    http://www.statmyweb.com/site/musiclibraryreport.com. I wonder where they get the figures that MLR earns $12 per day on advertising.

Much more accurate.
    https://musiclibraryreport.com/advertising-on-music-library-report/.

Scroll down the page to the Google stats.

#6926 Reply
    adam

yes a good idea to check that out. I guess its just really hard to trust people. I have a real problem with that. Will check out the stats – thanks a lot.

#6927 Reply
    Dan P

@Art:

Yeah I don’t understand how they come up with a dollar figure!

Dan

#6928 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It is best to talk to a person on the phone. Sometimes newer libraries are more willing to talk to composers. A brief email with a link to a track and one’s phone number can be helpful.

If a composer has a few questions, he can state them in the email and ask for a brief window to talk to the owner. Bigger libraries are not impossible to talk to, but are less likely to have a phone conversation with a composer.

#6929 Reply
    adam
    Participant

yeah i know that but its trusting the small ones – i got some exc with universal and course you speak to them and its all cool – but trusting people who you know are a two person operation or whatever and they got some website and no one here is using them or posting any info on really feels like such a shot in the dark – i’ve googled some of them and theres just no info that way either – i just feel like a bit of a chump to send all my stuff to them knowing nothing – it feels very insecure – of course companies with a proven track record – musicloops revo audio sparx etc is diff but these non exs with no info are really doing my head in.

#6930 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

yeah i know that but its trusting the small ones – i got some exc with universal and course you speak to them and its all cool – but trusting people who you know are a two person operation or whatever and they got some website and no one here is using them or posting any info on really feels like such a shot in the dark – i’ve googled some of them and theres just no info that way either – i just feel like a bit of a chump to send all my stuff to them knowing nothing – it feels very insecure – of course companies with a proven track record – musicloops revo audio sparx etc is diff but these non exs with no info are really doing my head in.

I feel you. It is probably better to wait to send music to those companies. Sometimes it helps if you give a company a year or two. They may be busy just building the company and landing a few loyal clients. Then they end up scaling up from there.

I have joined libraries straight from day one. Most have not paid off, but I only send out a small batch of new songs on a non-exclusive basis. If the company is new and wants exclusivity, there should definitely be a revision clause or an income limit. It takes patience. That is why it helps to keep making new stuff. Worrying about songs getting placed is such a drag. Moving forward is the best remedy to overcome those worries.

#6932 Reply
    adam
    Participant

it is head doer when you want to add a thousand tracks to someone you know absolutely nothing of – when i began i wouldnt have minded adding 10-20 songs but giving a thousand knowing absoultely nothing of them is a bit of a stresser

#6933 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Just curious…if you already have 1,000 tracks in a number of libraries, why would you even bother with an unknown? No offense, but with that many tracks in established libraries, you should have a good income. How many genres do you write in?

#6934 Reply
    adam
    Participant

with exclusive i’ve got hardly anything – just a handful tho they do ok so do need to go back to doing that – ive got into the easier side of non exc and it earns ok but not huge amounts – the 1000 im tryin to spread out now – i mean after musicloops/revo/p5/audiosparx etc am looking at the others and it really becomes a stab in the dark – contacting ‘dannyboy’ or whoever and handing all that work just makes me feel really uncomfortable but at the same time i just feel god i have to know if it works – im really lost on what to do – reading about the libs on MLR now but so many have no comments

#6935 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@adam. I’m with MichaelL. No offense intended but if you have 1000 tracks and not generating enough income then there are other things to look at.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: How to trust – take leap of faith with new companies ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us