How Was Your PRO Payment For January 2013?

Home Forums PROs How Was Your PRO Payment For January 2013?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

My BMI payment for Q2-2012 just landed in my account this morning and was wondering how other folks are doing as we travel this musical road together. Increase? Decrease? I was expecting a decrease but actually had an increase.

#8193 Reply
    euca

Hey Art, That’s good to hear. I’m with ascap and if you include the plus benefits they offer it was an increase, take them away and mine was almost identical to Q1.

I have had about 5 quarterly payouts so far and I notice a pattern. 1st payout, next one doubled, third was almost identical, 4th doubled and this last one identical.

Hmmmm, wouldn’t mind seeing it double each time but being new to this game I’ll take that pattern.

Congrats on the increase!!

#8194 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

BMI fumbled the ball a bit on my transition from ASCAP. They didn’t transfer the titles in time for today’s distribution. I’ve been promised a special distribution between now and March to catch things up. They also owe some royalties for Q1 2012 for a cue that was mis-titled on the cue sheet by the producer. Never a dull moment!

#8198 Reply
    TheOne

I am disappointed, NBC prime time for some show pays really little. Just like cable.

#8199 Reply
    Ulla
    Participant

No report shows up at my BMI page, does this mean there are no royalties for me this quarter or are there delays sometimes in their system? (Please tell me delays are possible or I stick my fingers in my ears and start singing really loudly…)

#8200 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

No report shows up at my BMI page,

Hmmm, I would think they would all be up at once but don’t know for sure. Here’s hoping something shows up for you Ulla!

#8201 Reply
    Jay

i’m new to the game but have been making music for 20 plus years now..I just started getting royalties from my PRO and my second quarter of last year I got my first payout (less than a hundred) the next one tripled and the last quarter of 2012 (Jan payout) was 11 times the previous netting me almost a grand..I had a lot of placements show up on my PRO statement in 2012 and all of those were cable but they were popular shows and repeated often..I have NO idea what to expect from the next one but sure am happy all my hard work is starting to pay off…Jay

#8211 Reply
    Pat

Mine was disappointing. I can fill up my gas tank with enough left over for some rusty razor blades.  🙂

#8212 Reply
    axiomdreams
    Participant

For me, 1st one started coming in beginning of 2012 at $28. Then, gradually increasing & the last one just came in at $879. Kinda sucks that overseas writers have to wait 12-18 months for the backends to come in after broadcast but at least my US placements royalties have just started rolling in. Fingers crossed this growth continues.

AxD

#8213 Reply
    Ulla
    Participant

Thanks Art, thats also what I thought. Maybe I get a surprise cheque in the mail next week! Hoping there were some reruns of some shows or some new placements… we’ll see! 😉

#8485 Reply
    chuckhughes2
    Participant

Hello Everybody

I just joined and hope to catch up with everyone and contribute where I can. I have been a writer/publisher member of ASCAP since 1994. This January I had my best payment from ASCAP, at $3900. They sent me a letter in the mail saying they had incorporated more electronic web and TV monitoring, and in some cases it has resulted in larger income streams for members. I am not a composer’s composer, but actually a live gigging/songwriting rockabilly trio guitarist/frontman. I’m based out in Denver. After reading one of Art’s posts I subscribed to Tunesat a year ago, and have seen a lot of action on there, on TV reality shows. I was wondering if ASCAP was actually catching it, and if cue sheets were being filed. There didn’t seem to be enough cue sheets on file to match the Tunesat reports. I’ll fill out one of those new “composer” interviews soon, just to introduce myself. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

#8488 Reply
    Ulla
    Participant

That’s a nice PRO payment! Also, welcome to the forums! =)

#8494 Reply
    Gus

January was a little weak for me but still enough to buy some new gear and take the wife out for a weekend getaway 🙂

#8495 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Still waiting…… for 2nd Q 2012 and some of 1st Q 2012 from BMI. They’ve promised a catch-up payment before the next distribution. Switching from ASCAP to BMI is a PITA!!!!!!  But, will hopefully be worth it (in my situation).

#8722 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Finally!  The process of switching from ASCAP to BMI took about 1.5 years!!! It should only take about 6 months, depending upon your affiliation date. My move was complicated because I moved my publishing too.

Although, BMI missed my first distribution, which was to be January 11, they were stellar and true to their word in providing an adjustment ASAP.

Was it worth the hassle and aggravation???? Absolutely. BMI paid five times (yes 5x) more than ASCAP for the exact same cues in the exact same shows.

The difference is that ASCAP missed about 75% of the performances, because of its data collection / survey methods. ASCAP also paid less per minute due to its weighting formulas.

YMMV.

_MichaelL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Reply To: How Was Your PRO Payment For January 2013?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us