Hurricane IRMA

Home Forums Off Topic Posts Hurricane IRMA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Anyone in its path stay safe, I know of one library in Florida and I assume there are a few of us there too. This is a major event please heed all warnings.

#28138 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Thanks! I’m in Orlando, set and as prepared as we can be. Storm path has shifted a little west of us now but there’s no getting away from this storm. Even though the path’s shifted away from me a bit the storm has actually strengthened a bit…..so we’ll see winds in the 75mph-110mph range Sunday night/Monday morning.

Hoping that myself and those around us get through with minimal damage.

#28141 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Watching the news about Harvey, IRMA, etc. puts things in perspective as to what really matters in life. We call get caught up in the day to day stuff and lose sight of how fortunate we are if we have something as simple as a roof over our head. My best thoughts go out to everyone in the path of these disasters. Right now south Florida is right in the path of one of the worst storms ever. My thoughts are with you. If you live in Florida and are an MLR-er, please check in and let us know how you are if at all possible. Be safe.

#28203 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Not much damage for us in east Orlando. Had to do some fence repairs and we lost about 35 shingles. Other than that we didn’t deal with any other damage.

Our neighborhood had power almost the entire storm. Lost power for about 18 hours on Monday….but it we’re good now. Also had a little bit of localized flooding but that receded pretty quickly. Not a lot of trees down around us. Sustained winds were in the 50+ mph range with gusts in the mid 80s mph range with about 11 inches of rain. It could have been much much worse.

Tornadoes and storm surge did a lot of damage throughout the state (even on the northern coasts of the state). Still a lot of folks without power and under a water boil alert though.

I think the initial numbers by late Monday afternoon was around 10 million without power. Considerably less now but still….

All in all we ended up much more fortunate than many others.

#28204 Reply
    guscave7
    Participant

I’m in South Florida and had a lot of trees and power lines down. Thankfully no flooding. My RV did get hammered by a huge ficus tree and our apartment spent about 24 hours without power. Unfortunately our families down in Key West didn’t fair too well. It’s a total mess down there, but thank God they decided at the last minute to drive north.

#28207 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Mike Marino, glad you did not have anything more serious.

@guscave7
    , glad you escaped without anything more serious and glad to hear your family got out. I can’t even imagine how difficult it will be to recover in south Florida.

#28210 Reply
    guscave7
    Participant

Thanks Art. This is actually my 5th major Hurricane:
    Inez in 1966
    Gilbert in -1988
    Andrew in 1992
    Wilma in 2005
    Irma- 2017

Maybe it’s time to move out of the Caribbean…. LOL

#28211 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Art. This is actually my 5th major Hurricane:

Yikes, quite a resume!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #28207 in Hurricane IRMA
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us