I get paid everytime the show airs right?

Home Forums PROs I get paid everytime the show airs right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jay

I’m just now starting to get cue sheets rolling in after years of work and just saw a show I have music on being repeated during a marathon – I get paid for that again right? – just curious and I know it won’t pay my rent but every little bit heps…jay

#6647 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yes, you should.

#6648 Reply
    MichaelL

You should, but there’s no guarantee that even with a cue sheet your PRO will detect the performance. The cue sheet is only half of the puzzle.

#6649 Reply
    Jay

thanks..on that same note i’ve had a new cue sheet in my PRO account for awhile now but there’s no new royalties associated with it….

“You should, but there’s no guarantee that even with a cue sheet your PRO will detect the performance. The cue sheet is only half of the puzzle” – is this possibly the reason or is it a matter of if the cue sheet is there the royalties will eventually follow?

seems odd my PRO would have the cue sheet and not detect the performance…but then again what the hell do I know 🙂 jay

#6650 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Jay …a cue sheet is filed by the production company. It only tells your PRO that a particular piece of music was used, and how much was used, in a particular program. It does not the your PRO where, when or how many times the program aired. The PROs get that data with other methods, including surveys. In some cases, they use third party data. It sounds like your PRO received the cue sheet, but that the performance wasn’t picked up in their survey. It is not uncommon for this to happen, particularly with non-network programming, like cable, or syndicated programming.

#6652 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Sorry it was late….

This sentence should read:

“It does not tell the your PRO where, when or how many times the program aired.”

#6665 Reply
    Jay

thanks…the show aired in January of this year..should I wait a bit before I call them about something like this? – jay

#6666 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

First quarter performances will be paid by BMI on Sept. 21 for writers and publishers, and by ASCAP on Sept 21 for publishers. ASCAP writers’s distribution is October 9.

I’d wait until you see what you get paid.

#6674 Reply
    Jay

awesome thanks Michael….one MORE question if I could bother you guys again…I just scored a short independent film and created a drone for it I’m pretty happy with..I copyrighted it and submitted it to various libraries but the drone itself is part strange music part strange sounds…should I register something like this with my PRO..I also do sound effects and a little foley stuff and of course that stuff isn’t music so I don’t register those..thanks..jay

#6675 Reply
    johnnyboy

Yeah, there’s more involved than cue sheets alone (though I’ve always been paid for what appears on cue sheets). Sometimes I even get paid for placements where no cue sheets were turned in (at least they didn’t show up on my member cue sheet page). Most recently ABC promos. No cue sheets, but ASCAP paid.

Good luck Jay!

#6676 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

The problem is that you don’t know if your being paid enough. It’s easy to see a cue sheet and a corresponding payment and to think everything is cool. What you don’t know, especially in the case of syndicated shows, is if they detected every performance.

#6694 Reply
    Jay

thanks guys as always this is a very informative place…jay

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: I get paid everytime the show airs right?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us