If You Didn't Already know

Home Forums Share It! If You Didn't Already know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant
    #16649 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Honestly, the copyright laws are pretty archaic. 70 years after death? Get outta here!!!

They need to change the copyright laws for music to 20 years. After that, the songs go to public domain. The United States Code might as well have been written in the stone ages. Totally out of touch with the amount of music and speed of composition today.

Technology has made making music easier and faster than anything could have been imagined even 20 years ago. I think a 20 year copyright is very generous and reasonable in today’s world.

#16650 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

DI, I’m not sure I understand how “speed of composition today” relates to copyright term. I think I maybe get what you saying in regards to not needing studios, musicians, etc and taking less time (theoretically), but artists in the 50s and 60s were routinely knocking out whole records in a day or two, so I could easily make the argument that people now spend MORE time than ever because they aren’t reined in by expensive studio time and have so much more to fiddle with on their computer than a guy with just an acoustic guitar did 50 years ago. The tweaking goes on almost endlessly now…

Assuming though that it is faster in “today’s world,” using a few days or weeks savings in the songwriting/recording process to justify a subtraction of 50 years from the copyright term is not any kind of logic that I can follow. You’ll have to give me a different argument.

#16651 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I think a 20 year copyright is very generous and reasonable in today’s world.

You are so off base I don’t even know where to begin!

#16655 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Tell us your thoughts. I am always interested in diverse viewpoints.

#16656 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Tell us your thoughts. I am always interested in diverse viewpoints.

To start with, the article is really about how little streaming services pay, not copyrights.

#16657 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Hi Desire Inspires, or yadggu, or whatever troll name you’re currently using, do you even know what public domain is? Why would you get so enraged about the only law that exists that actually protects composer’s rights to be paid fairly for what they create?
    Instead of just saying “explain your diverse viewpoints” blah blah blah, why not explain what the hell you are talking about?

#16658 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Instead of just saying “explain your diverse viewpoints” blah blah blah, why not explain what the hell you are talking about?

Why so much anger, brother?

Anyway, I believe the laws surrounding the intellectual property of music should be revised. I believe that 20 years is more than enough time for musicians, publishers, etc to recoup their investment from a song. Music just moves so quickly today.

As far as streaming revenue goes, I think that will actually improve in a few years. The market for streaming is a bit of a jungle but it will be rectified. I think that changing the copyright laws will help to standardize, commoditize, and monetize streaming revenues. The sales of Beats by Dre to Apple was not only about the hardware, but was also for the streaming service. Companies see the value in streaming and are working incredibly hard to make the situation amicable for all parties.

Musicians and publishers are already working together to promote positive change. The Songwriter Equity Act by ASCAP is a step in the right direction. We all need to work together instead of being angry internet bullies. A house divided cannot stand.

🙂

#16660 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

I think you know why yadggu my friend.

#16661 Reply
    AaronM

It would be nice if there were a way to unite and link good and top composers together in an effort to put and end to low paying music outlets. These streaming services and alike could then keep all of the leftovers for themselves. 🙂

#16662 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

DI, as crazy as it sounds it can often take well over 20 years for decent money to be made on music (not necessarily production music, but all music, and all music would of course be affected by a copyright term change). I have experienced that personally this past year. Sometimes music isn’t discovered until many generations after it’s written and recorded. Older musicians can be lifted out of poverty by a younger artist covering their songs (only if they still own the copyright).

I still can’t figure out what your logic is for wanting less from your music though… Saying something like “music just moves so quickly today” basically means nothing, either within this context or out of it.

#16659 Reply
    JD

DI, I have seen you spew some outlandish rubble here before, but for the love of everything sacred, this is the worst! I swear you do it just to p**s people off!

20 years? It’s like saying I built my house from the ground up, but after 20 years it should be the property of anyone who wants to live in it. Really?

#16665 Reply
    Mark

“instead of being angry internet bullies”

That’s funny coming from you. Didn’t you get banned from this forum for being exactly that?

#16667 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I think that anyone who is in favour of a fixed copyright term of 20 years cannot be a composer themselves, it only makes sense if you are using out of copyright material/public domain/trad arr in your own tracks/beats.

#16669 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@DI (your original response in this thread)…..20 years? I can’t imagine that anyone who is a musician (composer, songwriter, or just a gigging musician) would ever make that statement. Unreal.

I know musicians that live off of music they wrote 20-30 years ago, and that living is well deserved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Reply To: If You Didn't Already know
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us