If you thought the Blurred Lines lawsuit was crazy

Home Forums Share It! If you thought the Blurred Lines lawsuit was crazy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant
    #22548 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Insanity! The thought of putting this in front of a jury is truly frightening.

#22550 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Fascinating. I read the court doc also. Then again maybe it will be a cure for a lot of the “me too” music out there! 😉

#22551 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

court docs

#22552 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Is the beat in Price Tag an actual sampling of Zimba Ku?

I see some saying it is but I can’t quite tell.

Oh and also what happened with that Gaye/Williams one? Did it get appealed? Is that even possible?

#22554 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yeah, I was wondering if it was sampled but reading the docs seems as if it was copied.

#22555 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Of course if you have a mega hit it’s just the cost of doing business.

I played on the John Lennon Rock N Roll album and that album was solely made to satisfy Chuck Berry copyright infringements.

#22556 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Pretty soon no one will be allowed to put a snare on two and four…

#22557 Reply
    guscave

Wow , this is crazy, suing musicians because of similar drum part!! What’s next? suing because you used the same guitar distortion…

#22558 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

This is an outrage. I can’t tell you how many gigs I have been on where a drummer played this exact beat. I would consider it the same as a person using ‘the’ in a sentence.

Rant finished, the beat IS pretty damn spot on outside of exact drum pitches and an extra kick in the Jessie J track.

#22559 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

But…if we’re talking about people taking samples without regard to IP rights, then I say go for it.

Read this:

This Copyright Lawsuit Over Sampled Breakbeats Could Change the Way Music Is Composed

Watch this:

#22563 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Perhaps I didn’t read closely enough! If it was illegal sampling then yes, the lawsuit is surely fair game.

#22564 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

This particular case is about the actual beat, the plaintiffs do not own the sound recording. Ironically the actual sample has been used many times on hip hop tracks.

#22566 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

This particular case is about the actual beat, the plaintiffs do not own the sound recording. Ironically the actual sample has been used many times on hip hop tracks.

This is why putting it front of jury scares me. IMO Twelve average people are not the best method of discerning the nuances of copyright law.

Generally a “beat,” that is not a sampled recording, is beyond the purview of copyright protection because it’s too generic. The chances that Zimba Ku were the absolute originators of this beat are minimal. But, whether or not a jury will be able to grasp why that matters is another question.

#22567 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

This is why putting it front of jury scares me. IMO Twelve average people are not the best method of discerning the nuances of copyright law.

Generally a “beat,” that is not a sampled recording, is beyond the purview of copyright protection because it’s too generic. The chances that Zimba Ku were the absolute originators of this beat are minimal. But, whether or not a jury will be able to grasp why that matters is another question.

I totally agree, another angle on the case is that maybe the “sampled” usage was actually licensed from the record company and legit whereas this case is about composition and a very big record. Where theres a hit theres a writ, as they say.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Reply #22567 in If you thought the Blurred Lines lawsuit was crazy
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us