Including music in cultural discussions

Home Forums Copyright Questions Including music in cultural discussions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sami

I have a youtube channel. I’d like to make videos where I talk about cultural and psychological effects of music. I need to include samples of classical music mostly. Such videos I make are never monitized. They are just a cultural share. How can I go about it without bureucracy? I think using extracts of classical music should be allowed. I don’t see logic in preventing this. It doesn’t hurt anybody. To the contrary, it can be/include a free advertisement for the owner of the music.

#40794 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

The problem for you is that while classical music is in the public domain. There is generally a copyright on the audio recording. You don’t think the creators of the recording should be paid for their work? Do you get paid when you work? I bet you do.

#40806 Reply
    Sami

Just how did you conclude that I think the music creators should not be paid???
    I don’t think you understood the issue here.
    How am I earning money with non monitized videos? Then, what harm would this do to the creators (Orchestra, conductor, etc) if I am including exerpts and adding a link that refers to the complete performance?
    Finally, what do you suggest I should do? Have you ever tried to get permission for including a few minutes from Sheherazade, for instance, in a non-monitized video you have produced just for the sake of a cultural discussion among friends?
    Mission impossible. I’m saying it shouldn’t be.

#40807 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Sami. I do understand the issue. I’m sure you make money in your day job. Creating music is our day job and we should be paid.

Just because you have a video that is non-monetized doesn’t mean you shouldn’t license the music. Licenses are relatively cheap these days. If you search the multiple royalty free sites out there you will most likely find a version that would work for you. It may not be a major philharmonic orchestra but you could very well find something suitable at a reasonable price.

#40818 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

>Just how did you conclude that I think the music creators should not be paid???<

I think it was because you used the words “a free advertisement for the owner of the the music” in your post. I absolutely agree to what Art says! And a free advertisement (or “exposure”) for the owner of the music is not particularly helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #40794 in Including music in cultural discussions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us