Info about PRO´s

Home Forums General Questions Info about PRO´s

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stein_Thor
    Participant

Hello again

I´m a member of the icelandic PRO called Stef but I´m considering moving into ASCAP since I´m only sending library music to the US. I´m not getting many placements but still, some light is starting to show.

My question is about ASCAP, do you guys get reports on where songs are placed for example and does it appear as soon as it´s reported, or just once or twice a year?

Thank you
    Stein

#29022 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Hi Stein, cue sheets show up as they get filed. Actual payments are documented in statements. There is some form of payment/statement every month. Either Domestic Writers, International, or Domestic Publishers. Having a cue sheet does not necessarily mean a payment, having to do with the dreaded survey system.

#29023 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Just my “2 Peso’s” BUT, there are more Fish in the Sea than just ASCAP..

As well, there are foreign PRO’s that are GREAT at processing royalties that come from The USA!!

#29024 Reply
    Stein_Thor
    Participant

Thanks guys. My beef is that I have to wait one year for things to show up in my PRO here in Iceland, and then thats for the year before, so almost two year old info.

Since I throw songs all around and write fast sometimes I need to know if a library is good or not, fast, especially if I take a few months and concentrate on this.

This is more important now than ever since I´m being asked for exclusives all the time, which is bad, cause it locks my songs in a certain library.

I don´t think my PRO is doing badly, it´s just the usage shows up so late.

I thought ASCAP was the go to PRO for the US.

#29025 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

“I thought ASCAP was the go to PRO for the US.”

Not sure why you had this impression.Several people left ASCAP to join BMI,according to some posts in the forums.
    And SESAC is said to pay better than both ASCAP and BMI (again according to some recent posts in MLR forums).

Also,as Beatslinger suggested,some foreign PROs are doing great job too.
    PRS (UK) has processed all of my UK placements fast and paid me on time (i’m a BMI member).

Personally,if i had to pick a PRO again,it would be among SESAC,PRS and BMI with that particular order.

#29026 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Not doing advertisement at all, but I am SESAC..
    I personally have seen monies from The UK, France, and Canadian PRO’s that are more than usually OUTSTANDING!! Also, I feel certain companies have VERY outdated ways of tabulating our monies in their favor, or in favor of “Bigger Fish that they are courting..”

#29027 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Also, I feel certain companies have VERY outdated ways of tabulating our monies in their favor, or in favor of “Bigger Fish that they are courting..”

True words…..

#29028 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

This is more important now than ever since I´m being asked for exclusives all the time, which is bad, cause it locks my songs in a certain library.

Being exclusive is not necessarily bad – unless your music is a bad fit for the library, or the library is not well connected and placing it regularly. THEN, yes, it’s bad. Personally, I’m not placing exclusive anymore unless one or more of the following is met :

1. The music is so easy I can write 3-5 a day.
    2. The upfront is substantial ($1000+USD per tune)
    3. I have a solid, long term relationship with the company and know that my music is requested and going into a show(s) immediately.

Otherwise, being exclusive is too limiting in a market that’s expanding and changing exponentially every year.

I don´t think my PRO is doing badly, it´s just the usage shows up so late.

I thought ASCAP was the go to PRO for the US.

A year is not late. It’s pretty much the norm. Look at it this way, after a few years, you can not work for a year and still get paid. 🙂

As for ASCAP being the “go to”???? IMO, it’s at the bottom of the pile. I’d hazard to guess most library composers would tend to agree, but I could be wrong.

#29031 Reply
    Stein_Thor
    Participant

Great info guys, thank you..

I will look into this better.

About the exclusive, the library has given me some placements already, but I can not do 3 – 5 a day like I´m doing, since it´s heavy orchestra stuff usually.

something like this:

Latest music, took me a couple of days

Unfortunately I have not found a library that fits me, so I´m trying to fit the library more.

#29032 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Otherwise, being exclusive is too limiting in a market that’s expanding and changing exponentially every year.

TRUTH!! As well, these Libraries are acting like they are “Demi-Gods” lately.. GTFOH

LOOK. You can get these $5/$10/$!5 cue writers all day long, BUT the real “I can write/compose in damn-near ANY style writers? You need to address those egos, and come again!!” Top tier writers will ALWAYS have a say-so, because we are the “true life’s blood of this industry!!”

I just passed on adding a new exclusive to my roster (Starts with an E) “They were passing on My Strongest Stuff” and picking “My Mindless, fill the space afterthoughts..” Also, The guy in his “So-Called Studio” was trying to give me his.. Feedback.. Tell me what my mixes were lacking. It was OBVIOUS HE was NOT in a real studio; didn’t have satisfactory monitoring, nor decent Subs..lol

I digress, and ranted..lolol

#29037 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

I am a member of the PRS and they seem like an archaic organisation with an indifference which comes from decades of having the monopoly on collection in the UK. You can never get hold of a phone number to speak to anybody and they take weeks to reply to emails – in fact sometimes they don’t reply at all.
    When you log in to their site to ‘your account’ there is literally nothing to see regarding your own placements and cuesheets etc.
    Maybe you guys are lucky in the states to have both ASCAP and BMI – at least there’s competition for your business.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Info about PRO´s
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us