Instrumental vs. Vocal tracks

Home Forums General Questions Instrumental vs. Vocal tracks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Hi All!

I’ve been getting decent placements by doing instrumental background music. However, my heart lies in vocal pop/ rock tracks. I’ve mostly stayed away from this as instrumentals are working well for me and most of the requests from the libraries I am in are for instrumental tracks.

I was wondering if vocal tracks do as well as instrumentals in the music library world (assuming they are with a suitable library publisher)? I’m asking as producing a good full length vocal album is an intensive and longish process and whether it’s a good idea (financially) to pursue this?

I would appreciate any insights from anyone with experience in both instrumental and vocal music in music libraries.

Thank you!

#39135 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

In my experience, instrumental tracks place more often. Only certain shows and commercials use vocal tracks, not so much reality TV and sports. That’s not to say that it can’t be successful though. I’ve seen vocal albums on APM and other sites. I have a few vocal tracks in NE libraries that have done decent. Personally I would try to get that kind of music signed with Crucial or Tunedge or someone similar, since they seem to specialize in that. Another thing to consider is that the shelf life for pop might not be too long.

#39138 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Thanks for the insights RM90… yes, I would think instrumentals get placed far more than vocal tracks.
    I have 3 or 4 vocal tracks with Tunedge… no placements so far. Crucial rejected all the tracks that are with Tunedge… lol

#39150 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

The lyrical content will matter also. A song about meeting a girl named Joan in 2003 at a Christmas party is going to have limited use. Keep it generic.

#39153 Reply
    MM_Musicworks

Thanks Michael for the pointer… Yes, generic lyrics would work best I imagine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #39153 in Instrumental vs. Vocal tracks
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us