Internet over taking Cable

Home Forums Commentary Internet over taking Cable

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    guscave7
    Participant

Just got my BMI statement and it’s one of the worst distributions I’ve had in about 2 years. After doing some research on the 20 plus pages, I see that my royalties from cable shows had significantly dropped for the 1st qtr of 2017, however in comparison with my last statement (June) my royalties for internet performances has doubled.

The problem is that internet royalties only pay pennies. Which means I would have to get 10 times (or more) the amount of placements in internet shows than I had in cable in order to get the same amount of money I use to get from cable alone.

This almost feels like you’re starting all over again trying to establish that pipeline of income.

#28214 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

That’s the way royalties go sometimes. If you can quantitatively figure it out, you’ll be the first I’ve seen. My BMI was “OK”. Good actually, but slipped from Q1 2016..

And YET, BMI states that they are having record years, and that network, cable and internet music categories are over half their income. Sounds fishy no?

As for Internet taking over cable :

Netflix and our collective futures..aka…are you depending on BackEnd?

#28217 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Pennies, 1 cent, more pennies, just a penny, an entire penny was earned. Got a BMI statement too. Pretty pathetic stuff.

At least add to cart buy now = a sea of $25 royalties.

I had my best BMI statement ever so there are positives, but man those pennies earned are a joke as PRO’s trumpet “Record Revenue collected!”

Write for briefs, give us the cue to control, and earn pennies!

No Thanks! My music will also stay in “add to cart buy now” AND be in with the back end boys….to earn lots of pennies. Every penny matters!

#28218 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

For me it was my best BMI statement to date.

#28219 Reply
    guscave7
    Participant

I don’t mind the trend toward internet. I myself watch more Netflix than I do regular TV, but the problem is the payout system currently used to compensate composers totally sucks.

As for “add to cart” sites. I started submitting to them over 5 years ago. But for me the money never quite got to the same level as my back-end royalties. Also I find that you have to continuously feed that monster in order to see regular monthly income.

I still get back end royalties from tracks that I wrote over 7 years ago whereas songs I wrote and submitted to RF sites less than 2 years ago have stopped earning me any new money. I don’t know if that’s just because of my music or how that part of the business works.

#28220 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Our statement this quarter was pretty decent. Better than the last few quarters. Added to the RF sales, all in all pretty good. Streaming rates are pathetic though.

#28221 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hello to All. This will be the first year that my Publishing company will see statements from all three. I am looking to see who actually is paying the best for me, and start allocating my eggs accordingly..

As well, I came onto the forum today to see what everyone (BMI) is thinking about their latest statement. Mike M, I am sharing your view that this is one of the best statements ever.

I have a feeling that there still needs to be a “Royalty Free site that truly caters to the more seasoned composer/writers”. I am not saying this to be mean. But, a lot of these RF sites, including so-called “premium”; are now just throwing anything in just to have larger numbers. It is really making this portion of the industry go to…

#28223 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I have a feeling that there still needs to be a “Royalty Free site that truly caters to the more seasoned composer/writers”. I am not saying this to be mean. But, a lot of these RF sites, including so-called “premium”; are now just throwing anything in just to have larger numbers.

Not True Beatslinger, curation is getting stiffer and stiffer from the stock sites that sell our music. Anyone who thinks that music sitting in rights managed catalogs is a better product should rethink what they are thinking. The quality in add to cart buy now is way up, and catching up to traditional, rights managed libraries.

It is really making this portion of the industry go to…

Can you explain what you are trying to communicate here?

#28224 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

Q1’17 is a personal best for me to date. This is my second full year of receiving statements. Going on 3 1/2 years into this music licensing journey. A lot of hard work coupled with a lot of luck I’m sure…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Internet over taking Cable
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us