Is anyone earning anything from PPL in the UK

Home Forums General Questions Is anyone earning anything from PPL in the UK

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    frederico

is anyone getting royalties as a performer and/or a recording owner with PPL in the UK?

I believe they collect different royalties to PRS, and when collecting from the US they do so via soundexchange.

From what I gather each track registered there needs an ISRN number. Would you register all tracks and sub mixes, and what about non-exclusive track titles in various libraries, would they all need to be registered with there own ISRN? I notice libraries like AS already assign this number, so in that case how are those royalties distributed.

Finally, is it worth it, are the royalties any good for background tv use etc?

Always found what PPL do a bit confusing, so any help would be appreciated.

#15617 Reply
    AnalogueRob
    Participant

Good question, and I’d be interested to know if anyone is indeed earning money from PPL. I’m not, although admittedly I only have a few songs on their register from a former career 15 years ago, and they’re not big sellers. (Or indeed sellers at all, for that matter. 🙂 )

I can give you an answer about the difference between PPL and PRS, I think. PPL collects royalties on behalf of performers, whereas PRS collects on behalf of writers and publishers.

I guess that means PPL is collecting the mechanical royalty (based on the recording) and PRS the performance royalty (based on the composition), although I’m not 100% sure. It’s a flippin complicated situation, anyway!

#15637 Reply
    frederico

Thanks, I guess not many people here are using PPL

#17401 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I just got contacted by a UK broadcaster today asking if I was going to be assigning a particular track to PPL.

Has anyone here registered their music with PPL?

From what I can find out online, it would probably cannibalize sales through licensing companies. The rates are determined by the use, not the artist, as far as I can tell. Very different to the way things are done in the US!

I can’t help but think the broadcaster just wanted to use the music for the dirt cheap set rate, and not pay the significant fee this particular (epic trailer track) would usually cost.

http://www.ppluk.com/I-Make-Music/Why-Should-I-Become-A-Member/

#17402 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I get occasional cheques from them for session work I did, very small amounts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Is anyone earning anything from PPL in the UK
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us