Is Cable TV going away?

Home Forums Share It! Is Cable TV going away?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I admittedly don’t pay as much attention as a should to endless articles that show up in my email about streaming, the future of TV etc. So I was very surprised yesterday by this.
    My recent college grad got a job and is getting ready to move out into the real world. She asked for my help estimating the cost of monthly utilities. As I went down the list, she said “no, I’m not going to get cable TV, I never watch it. maybe I’ll get netflix if I miss it”
    wow…

#20839 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

We will have to wait and see. If it is replaced with streaming or something else, the shows will still need music in them.

Some channels will probably disappear, but the more popular channels like HBO, Showtime, Disney, ESPN, etc will be around in some capacity. Streaming isn’t fast enough for everything just yet.

#20841 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Cable is in big trouble…. Ratings are way down. More and more young people are using Netflix, streaming, etc. As the audience size decreases, so does the money and that can put a lot of businesses out of business.

It may turn out to be like telephone land lines. Young people come out of college today, get their first house or apartment, and never bother with a land line. What for? Technology changes make things flip in a generation.

Being an old fart, I still prefer to sit on the couch with the remote and flip cable channels. But old farts don’t live forever, LOL…

🙂

#20842 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

It’s really interesting to see how things are evolving and hopefully PROS can keep pace with the changes.

You can find articles about how official ratings are dropping but actual viewership is up (Nielsen doesn’t include delayed DVR views in the official ratings). A lot of younger viewers consume two or even three sources of content at once, like watching TV while they surf the web with Pandora playing in the background.

I think what we’ll see is that the cream will always rise to the top – ratings for the best cable shows rival any network these days (Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad). Maybe the ‘filler’ stuff on channels that no one would specifically choose to pay for will end up on Netflix, or just die out.

Have you guys been seeing an increase in the web / PPV section of your PRO statement? I’ve started to see a bit more from the Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc pages. Not huge money but it seems to be on the rise.

#20843 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Have you guys been seeing an increase in the web / PPV section of your PRO statement? I’ve started to see a bit more from the Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc pages. Not huge money but it seems to be on the rise.

Yes. For me, those royalties are rising quite sharply over the last 3-4 statements. This still represents a small percentage of the overall amount.

It’s difficult for me to gauge the difference “per viewer” between the Netflix/Hulu views and the broadcast views.

#20844 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

It’s difficult for me to gauge the difference “per viewer” between the Netflix/Hulu views and the broadcast views.

I’ve heard from someone at a PRO that it’s difficult for even them to get hard numbers on Netflix viewership.

#20850 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

It will be very interesting to see how Sling TV and Playstation VUE do. They offer a lot of what cable does for way less money.

#20942 Reply
    guscave

Have you guys been seeing an increase in the web / PPV section of your PRO statement?

I never noticed it too much before. Mainly because the amounts are so small, but this QTR I saw a large increase in that format which contributed to about 35% more money than last qtr.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Is Cable TV going away?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us