Is it a no-no?

Home Forums General Questions Is it a no-no?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

Would you consider it a no-no to share what libraries you compose for with other composers if they ask? Is that shooting yourself in the foot?

#32506 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Would you consider it a no-no to share what libraries you compose for with other composers if they ask? Is that shooting yourself in the foot?

Not sure it would help much as different composers have different experiences with the same library.

#32507 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

Not sure it would help much as different composers have different experiences with the same library.

exactly this.

#32508 Reply
    Mike Marino

I wouldn’t do it blindly…but if I had some level of comfortable relationship with another composer I’d be more likely to share that info them. This would also include what I write and why I work with those libraries because, as Art pointed out, your mileage may vary.

As the Grinch once said: “One man’s toxic sludge is another man’s potpourri.”

#32509 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

i’ve always pondered upon that, but so far havent had any backlash on helping other folks out,nor would i know if it came back and bit me anyways …i’d probably draw the line if I knew the other guy is an exact clone of me (or better)…but ive never met two people who thinks, writes, and sounds exactly the same even within the same genre

well except in corporate music, if you listen to recent or best selling tracks on a popular rf site, seems like cloning is the norm, maybe even encouraged on that side of the “forest”

#32510 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Publicly, I’ve learnt the hard way to limit that type of info. Privately, with friends or close acquaintances, sure! But to reinforce what’s already been mentioned – the circumstances and timing of when I started working with these libraries might be very different to what someone would experience today. A trailer library I write for went from four writers in 2012 to over 150 today, as just one example. Another was doing amazingly well for over a decade and then quite suddenly stopped getting my music used.

#32544 Reply
    Lucky S

Most of the insecure and inexperienced composers have an issue with sharing info to libraries they are signed with…because once you’re licensing tracks, your P.R.O.’s cue sheets will divulge A LOT of information.

#32549 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

@Lucky S: not sure if it’s true. BMI cue sheets seem to not reveal any other information other than your own placement’s details. I know ASCAP’s cue sheets have more information than that though.

#32550 Reply
    seaneman
    Participant

Don’t worry about it. The global contributor market is unbelievably vast. There are no secret honey-holes. Just do your work and hope for the best.

#32551 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

The resources, and information are out there for “anyone” to find out what Production Libraries & Companies are getting the most exposure. As well, there is literally a “Wealth of Knowledge” on a lot of libraries in the “Access Music Libraries” section here on MLR.

Are you being “Lazy & Entitled?” Not wanting to do the work, and research on your own; so you ask a TON of questions to “The Lifers” about “what Watering Hole is producing the most Fish for them?”

Here’s a Big Tip. There are “Multiple Producers” of Albums inside of the top-tier, and bigger libraries. “Just because you are striking out with one, does NOT mean to give up. Do your research and find out “Who is actually Producing Albums & Content that have Your type(s) of music”.

If You are really good at what you do, and have a great work ethic. “You can get into just about any library You want!!”

Also, getting “quality/bigger” placements, and a “STRONG Track Record” will get you to the better fishing holes. The question is “Do You have what it takes to snag the Bigger Fish?”

Trust me, if You’re on Your Job. “They get in touch with You!!”

#32553 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

I’ve turned some people, from this site, on to my big placement Libs.

I have not seen a drop in my placements. I believe that it comes around because other people have introduced me to productive Libs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Reply #32544 in Is it a no-no?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us