Is Jingle Punks dead?

Home Forums General Questions Is Jingle Punks dead?

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    axiomdreams
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience & the advice Steve.

I’ve only been in this industry for 3-4 years so sometimes I still find it hard to judge if a deal is good or not. However, within 1 year, JP has made me way way way more $ than any other Lib I’ve been with so far plus some backend royalties coming in next month. They’ve gotten me abt 30 x more placements than the other 4 Libs I’m with.

From what you’ve mentioned abt the “3 yrs & 25 tracks”, I can’t help but wonder, what amt of $ made (for that amt of time & tracks signed) would you then consider it worth signing your catalog exclusively to a Lib?

-AxD

#7167 Reply
    Composer Producer

Gentlemen, things sure do change fast.  Please  read this edited e-mail exchange (from today) with a library I submitted to and have non exclusive tracks last week. This same library just 6 to12 months ago also published an article about how non exclusive retitling is NOT being shunned by the marketplace and is (was I suppose) thriving and accepted.  My writing is in Italics and the response is in bold:

“Hi _____, I sent in some great new tracks to your server in the non exclusive submission folder.I really think you will like these cues, they are well thought out and very relevant to what is on the air these days. Let me know if you had a chance to listen to them.

Because our focus is on exclusive tracks, we aren’t able to process your new non-exclusive tracks. I’m sure they’re great, but we’re getting great music that’s exclusive so that must be our priority.

What’s the deal with exclusive cues these days? Has their been a revolution that can not be stopped?
    I guess I may have to consider being exclusive to 1 library. Any thoughts?
    That’s a good question. Your observation is correct. Exclusivity is taking over. I don’t know that non-exclusive representation will disappear completely, but most of the libraries that get the big placements are going exclusive. We have an “in” with a major network who insists that our content be exclusive, so our business model has shifted to meet client demand. We have a team of freaking awesome composers and artists who are contributing exclusive music, so we continue to thrive.  Many composers and artists send some exclusive tracks to Library A, others to Library B, and others to Library C.  As for me, I submit my music exclusively to “blank”  as my tracks do very well here and I have more opportunities for bigger placements through exclusive representation.
    If someone who was new to the business were to ask me the way to go:  exclusive or non-exclusive, my answer would be: exclusive.

Sincerely,

VP of company

#7170 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Did that library name start with “S”? 😉

#7171 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

>>>> “Hi _____, I sent in some great new tracks to your server in the non exclusive submission folder.I really think you will like these cues, they are well thought out and very relevant to what is on the air these days. Let me know if you had a chance to listen to them.

Although not relevant to this discussion or the response you got from the library, I don’t think I’d say my tracks were “great”, “well thought out”, etc in an email to a library, letting them know you uploading tracks for consideration. It could come off a bit… Well, not sure the word… Presumptous?

MHO is simply say the style, genre, etc… Words like “modern”, “contemporary”, “a la [artist X]”, etc would be better.  It’s easy to turn off the other party with the type of language above. Again, JMHO and maybe not a big deal… And again, not the reason you got that reply about exclusivitiy.

😉

#7175 Reply
    adam
    Participant

Have you got to let them know its non exc cause I just gave them a bunch of stuff like I used to and didn’t specify it was non Exc

#7178 Reply
    Jay

read the faq – I just read it the other day and it was a non exclusive deal – i’m assuming to go excl you’ll have to sign another contract – I didn’t sign anything different and have been submitting non exclusively with all my new stuff – Jay..

#7179 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

You have to contact them to email you the new exclusive contract. Once you sign that, everything you submit from that point on is exclusive.

#7181 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

This topic is closed. It should have really been under the JP library listing in the first place.

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)
Reply To: Is Jingle Punks dead?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us