ISRC, UPC, ISWC for non exclusive tracks

Home Forums General Questions ISRC, UPC, ISWC for non exclusive tracks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wall_E
    Participant

I’m curious to know why here and there on the forum I read about how important it is to upload our non exclusive tracks to Spotify (and other DSPs) to obtain ISRC codes, UPC Codes, ISWC codes.

What advantages would you have in distributing (with Distrokid, Tunecore and similar) your non-exc tracks in order to obtain those codes?

Thank you

#42765 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

bump

#42767 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

Here is some info about this. ISWC codes are created when you register your tracks with your PRO. That has nothing to do with distributing on Spotify, etc.

A lot of composers upload their non exclusive tracks to those platforms in order to make some extra money from streaming. I don’t do it, but some claim it is worth it.

You can purchase the ability to make your own ISRC codes at USISRC.org which I do recommend doing. ISRC codes matter for collecting royalties through Soundexchange. When CDBaby (or whatever) assigns ISRCs to your tracks, it is with their code. If you have your own code, it shows that you truly own the music.

#42790 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Art published on this site an article I wrote about codes. It was a while back but I wouldn’t think much has changed:

The alphabet soup of today’s music industry.

#43218 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

Thanks a lot.
    I still would like to understand better how obtaining ISRC codes for my non-exclusive music (not via a distributor since I don’t want to upload these tracks to Spotify or other DSPs) would benefit me in terms of income.

Neighbouring rights?

#43222 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

I was talking to a guy from the PRS a couple of weeks ago and he said that the DSP’s use these codes to inform the PRO’s of each play on their platforms, so if you’ve registered the correct code with your track you’ll get paid by your PRO for the play – even if you’ve also been paid by the distributor you’ve chosen to host your music.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #42765 in ISRC, UPC, ISWC for non exclusive tracks
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us