It is recommended to be your own publisher?

Home Forums Newbie Questions It is recommended to be your own publisher?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant

Hello all,

I was wondering, is recommended to be your own publisher? Does that double the income from the PRO’s?

I’m from The Netherlands and at my PRO you need to register with mij PRO as publisher. At least it seems like that. Is that true or only my assumption?”

Thanks for the help!
    DSM

#30270 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I recommend it, at least in the US. Libraries generally take 100% of publishing but it’s not unheard of to work with a library that gives you a portion of the publishing. It only doubles your income if you get a broadcast placement on your own, like through a RF site.

#30271 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

Hi,

I get it Michael Nickolas, thank you for your reply 🙂

DSM

#30272 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hi there,

I think this is on a Library-by-Library basis. I’m not sure about all, but the Top Libraries I am in are Composers/Writers to you and the Publishing goes to them. I would say, if the Library/Catalog has a great reputation, and has a large customer/client base; I am all for giving them the publishing percentage. “I would MUCH rather have a LOT of some, rather than ALL of none ANY DAY!!”

As well, just my 2 cents. I have had not so good luck with RF Libraries, and I didn’t see the benefits of having them administer publishing..

#30273 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

Hey BEATSLINGER,

Good to know for (in my case) in the future. I’m very new to library music so I’m starting in the RF market to begin with. But of course want to be in the exclusives in the future 🙂

Thanks for your reply!
    DSM

#30299 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I have had not so good luck with RF Libraries, and I didn’t see the benefits of having them administer publishing..

Right, I was referring to the OP’s self publishing question. What I meant to convey was if you have a track licensed via an RF site which is used in a broadcast performance and you are your own publisher then yes, you would collect both the writers and publishing share (doubling your income so to speak).

#30301 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

Right, I was referring to the OP’s self publishing question. What I meant to convey was if you have a track licensed via an RF site which is used in a broadcast performance and you are your own publisher then yes, you would collect both the writers and publishing share (doubling your income so to speak).

Cool very good to know 🙂

#30302 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Completely understanding. It is really truth that each individuals mileage may vary!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #30302 in It is recommended to be your own publisher?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us