Just offered my first contact…Unsure about the split

Home Forums Newbie Questions Just offered my first contact…Unsure about the split

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Rob (Cruciform)

Yep, back to my first opinion. With no advance/WFH and no costs being covered it is a crap deal.

#20267 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

That FauxMusicSupe is pretty good, I never heard of it before. Very entertaining reading!

#20271 Reply
    energyflow

*UPDATE*

I emailed the library re: the above and this is what transpired;

My Email;

Thanks for the contract. On first glance, there are a couple of points that stand out;

1. ‘Pursuant to the provisions of Paragraph 5, the following amounts shall be payable to Artist by Distributor:
    (a) Twenty Five percent (25%) of the Gross Receipts in excess of one thousand United States dollars
    ($1,000.00) per Master’

2. ‘(b) Ten percent (10%) of the Gross Receipts per Master’

Usually, it’s a straight 50/50 split on sync fees from the first dollar and 50/50 of the gross receipts per master, especially as there are no advances being offered.

Regards,

And their reply…

Your questions involve around the issues that were outlined in our initial explanation of our artist distribution agreements, which I emailed you when you first contacted us seeking distribution.
    Our process of distribution and payment is not the same as other companies, nor is there any universal standard in the music library industry. Every publisher is unique and different. We have well over one hundred artists in our catalog at this point in time, and we promote their material on a daily basis, domestically and around the world in 40 countries.
    Please refer to our initial emails to review the payment splits and details regarding distribution for synch fees, writers shares, non-exclusive publishing shares. And give a call if you need further details.

sincerely,

Seems like they’re not willing to budge. I’m not feeling the love from this library.

#20280 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

There are hundreds of libraries on this site that will promote your music domestically and internationally and offer you 50/50 on all income. Ditch these people and get a better deal with a better library. That is my advice.

Never get hung up on a library just because they are talking to you. There are so many better ones.

Also, ANY deal where you get 0% of a synch if it’s over or under a certain amount is INSANITY! Like FMS said on his blog, just think how that incentivizes them!

#20283 Reply
    energyflow

Thanks Tbone. Yes, I just read FMS’s blog. He makes complete sense.

I can’t possibly agree to those terms.

#20284 Reply
    composer
    Participant

It’s OK to walk away.

It’s also OK to ask for what you want – a fair(er) deal, in this case – and then politely walk away if you don’t get it.

#20307 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Glad to help energyflow. That’s one of the things that makes this place so great. I wish you the best with other deals.

Also – one thing: a positive to take away from this is that someone out there thinks they can make some money with your music… that’s a good sign even if their deal sucks and you walk away!

#20308 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@energyflow if you will PM me (or use the contact form) I will make sure to list this library, if not listed, and spread the word.

Thanks

Art

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Just offered my first contact…Unsure about the split
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us