Library Business Model confusion

Home Forums General Questions Library Business Model confusion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    confused

I work with a certain library that we all know and have made a lot of money through them over the last couple of years with a ton of great placements.

Recently they decided to go exclusive and have been pushing the work of their in house composers a lot more. I understand that they totally have this right, but at the same time it bums me out as I wonder –  At some point are all my future placements going to be third rate cable shows that may or may not just be gratis placements?

As I have almost 400 tracks with this library, does anyone think that I should continue to submit to them when it seems that their focus has shifted internally? Is this good business on my part?

It seems like I may just be wasting my time and need to focus on other libraries I belong too, but it’s hard when this particular company has done so well for me.

so confused…any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#8316 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@confused, I feel your pain! I have the same doubts and misgivings but as my PRO statements have been going up each quarter I will continue to submit. In the meantime I am reassessing on how I want to approach this part of the music business.

#8317 Reply
    euca

@confused. FWIW I recently had a placement from a “certain Library” on The Voice, and it was a non exclusive track. Not sure if it will have a license fee attached to it, but at least I know the production company for The Voice does not require exclusive tracks.

I’m just guessing but I bet the in house composers are going more after the commercials rather than tv placements. Just a guess though, I don’t have any facts to back it up.

#8318 Reply
    confused

Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it.

I had a recent placement on FOX thru them as recent as Christmas time so I guess I just need to “keep the faith” that I will still be getting good placements from this library and not worry so much. haha.

#8319 Reply
    Jtcloutier
    Participant

I’m curious what this library is… Always trying to pick the most active ones 🙂

#8320 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m curious what this library is…

Spend a little time on the library listings and you will find a few possibilities. 🙂

#8321 Reply
    Jay

this libray just paid my rent (and then some) with January’s ASCAP payout..i’m totally nonexclusive with them and still get placements showing up w/my PRO…I know a LOT less than most here but IMO this fear of nonexclusives going away is not going to happen..I guess we’ll all wait & see but I don’t even bother w/exclusives..and i’m starting to make some real $ with pretty much one library..(and we all know which that one is) 🙂

#8322 Reply
    confused

Yeah they have been very good to me as well and I am super appreciative of all the placements they have gotten me.

Guess I don’t really need to be confused huh? If something isn’t broken, don’t try and fix it. haha

Congrats to all who responded about their success with that “certain library”. It’s like we are in a secret club 😉

#8323 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

I`ve got a pretty good idea what library your secret little club is all about here 😉

I`m not a composer with them yet as I have been going back and forth with this retitle issue for a long while. I don`t really like it actually, but I also see the benefits from it.

Anyway I´m not trying to make a thread about retitling here, but would much appreciate some opinions on if it`s still worth to join this library as a new non-exclusive composer. Or will it most likely be a waste  of time since this most likely is not their priority anymore?

Joining them exclusive is not an option as I want to keep a little more control of my tracks for a while, to get a little feeling of where this whole business is heading. I hear so much about music sups staying clear of non-excl because they only find the same tracks in almost every library. But only time will tell if this actually happens.

#8326 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

This is one of two libraries many of us know that do a lot of blanket deals with cable shows and recently started putting more emphasis on exclusives. One of those libraries barely takes any more non-exclusive tracks into the catalog.

Like many of you, I continue to get placements from my non-exclusive tracks with these libraries. But it’s hard to conclude from that because everything changes slowly in this business. Music sups might still be looking at hard drives full of tracks they were sent months or years ago without regard to exclusive or not. The question is as those batches age out, will things change? IF there *IS* a shift back to exclusive, I don’t think it will happen overnight.

I used to think the exclusive vs. non-exclusive issue was only for the bigger network placements. Over the last year, however, we’ve learned that the blanket cable deals may have even more problem as end users don’t want to pay blanket fees to multiple libraries, only to find many duplicate tracks– very cost inefficient and they have heavy duty budget pressures..

So, we don’t really know. I did directly ask a principal in one of those 2 libraries about the future of the non-exclusive side of the catalog and he said some clients insist on exclusive, some don’t, but he does see a trend toward exclusive developing.

Again, keep in mind that if things are changing, it could be happening slowly and spikes in a given direction may or may not be meaningful. Hard to say…

😀

#8327 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Again, keep in mind that if things are changing, it could be happening slowly and spikes in a given direction may or may not be meaningful.

Yep, spot on Advice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Library Business Model confusion
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us