Library changing its business model

Home Forums Contracts Library changing its business model

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have a question, or perhaps looking for some insight regarding a situation, where I have contributed a decent amount of tracks to a library, but they have now changed their model. It started with the fact that there would be a usual 50/50 split, even though they are a royalty-free library (what would I even get then, in terms of royalties?). Now, they have changed their model to offer all music for free to anyone to use, as long as they credit the library. Unfortunately, I haven’t signed the contract yet, but the 50/50 split will still apply.

Thanks everyone!

#31577 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I would pull all my tracks from them. Mind letting us know what library this is so we can warn other composers?

#31578 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

I got upfront payments for those tracks, so not sure I can do that; we had a verbal agreement. A pretty complicated situation, as you can imagine.

#31579 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I got upfront payments for those tracks, so not sure I can do that; we had a verbal agreement.

The dangers of verbal agreements!

#31581 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Yep, hard lesson learned.

#31585 Reply
    Tim-b
    Participant

If your financial situation allows it you could give them back the advance and take the songs elsewhere. Yes it was a verbal agreement but that was based on their previous business model, they changed their minds so you can as well in my opinion.

#31939 Reply
    St0rMl0rD
    Participant

Hi everyone, hope you’re having a good start of the week. I tried creating a new thread, but it didn’t work, so I’m pasting it in here; it’s about the same library as I’ve written above.

So this library has shut down. I didn’t have a contract with them, apart from an agreement on splits via Facebook. Since then, their CEO has apparently changed their mind in the sense that they want full IP of the tracks, for the small amount of upfront money I was given. Now, as they have still been unable to provide the contract to me, I am definitely planning to go and get my tracks out of there. My question would be, should I send them a final email, or just go with an IP lawyer directly? I don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on a lawyer, as it was 30 or so tracks, so it might not be worth it, but I do want the best possible outcome. I also want it to be fair, as they did pay me some upfront money for the tracks, but they aren’t listening.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #31585 in Library changing its business model
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us