Licenses and Legal Issues when creating your library website

Home Forums General Questions Licenses and Legal Issues when creating your library website

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

There have been a few threads here about creating your own website, which I’m in the middle of doing.

How are people handling the ‘legal/royalty’ part of it?

I am referring to such topics as:

1. How to agree on what kind of license they are buying? Is it part of the site or a conversation?
    2. How do they receive your important information (contact info, BMI/ASCAP account number so you get royalties)? Do you send them a pdf? Include the metadata in your audio file?
    3. Did you consult a lawyer beforehand? Why?
    4. Anything else?

Thanks,
    Angopop

#39693 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1. How to agree on what kind of license they are buying? Is it part of the site or a conversation?

I would make it part of the functionality of the store site (I don’t do that on ours).

2. How do they receive your important information (contact info, BMI/ASCAP account number so you get royalties)? Do you send them a pdf? Include the metadata in your audio file?

It’s included in the invoice they receive from us.

3. Did you consult a lawyer beforehand? Why?

No, poked around other sites to see what their terms of service were and created my own. They can’t check out until agreeing to them.

#39694 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Thanks, Art!

I’m still working on the site, but the intention is that it is more of an alternative to sending a hard drive full of my music to some industry contacts and less of a storefront … hopefully it’s a good idea!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #39693 in Licenses and Legal Issues when creating your library website
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us