Licensing directly to company

Home Forums Newbie Questions Licensing directly to company

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    madeofwood

Hi there- I’ve been a member for a while now, mostly to read reviews about different libraries, and this is my first actual post.

Sorry for the noob-ness, but a company (medium sized ad agency) contacted me directly to ask if I licensed my music for marketing campaigns.  Everything else I’ve done is just through music libraries, and it’s not that much yet.

I assume I need to find more info about how the song will be used, size of campaign, etc.

couple q’s:

How much to charge: I was thinking I’d look at the music libraries that sell my music to get an idea, depending on type of use.  Does that sound reasonable?

Second: contracts/etc.  My music is registered with BMI, but shouldn’t there be some kind of contract involved?

The whole thing is kind of intimidating to think about.  Makes me almost want to just tell them to go through the music libraries where my music is, but then I assume I’d make 1/2 (or less).

thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.  Apologies if this kind of thing gets asked a lot- I did a search first but didn’t really find what I was looking for.

-Dan

http://www.madeofwoodmusic.com

#7759 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

How much to charge: I was thinking I’d look at the music libraries that sell my music to get an idea, depending on type of use. Does that sound reasonable?

You could most likely get a higher price than what the typical online libraries offer.

Second: contracts/etc. My music is registered with BMI, but shouldn’t there be some kind of contract involved?

You would want to issue a license to the ad agency detailing the terms, price, use, length of license. If it’s going to broadcast than you would file a jingle data sheet with BMI. E-mail me through the contact form and I will send you a sample contract.

#7761 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

BTW, here’s a good source for a sample license agreement.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/kb/questions/2/

#7763 Reply
    madeofwood

Thanks Art, I’ll check out those links and contact you via the email form.

-Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #7761 in Licensing directly to company
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us