Logic plugs, synths , etc….

Home Forums General Questions Logic plugs, synths , etc….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Trying to decide if it would be worth spending time looking into the Logic synths, etc. Are folks finding that there are times where just the straight Logic stuff is getting them what they want? Or do you just look outside to your trusty higher end VSTs? Thinking is maybe workflow at times just using logic is the way to go, as opposed to higher end, maybe more cpu intensive plugs. Since the Logic plugs are kind of tailor made for , well, Logic, are folks finding they would just as soon use the logic synths /plugs to get the results they want? Are things like Drummer, Alchemy really adding to the creative workflow for the composer or really just gadgets and gimmicks and you find you would rather use your other prized VSTs. The idea being if it is not going to benefit, I don’t really want to waste the time learning drummer, etc. I would love to hear something like ” I get licensed a lot and really using nothing/not much else then Logic plugs.

#24443 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Drummer is definitely great for getting a groove going. I also have used it as the drum track on several cues. It’s pretty intuitive and easy to learn. I just wish they had more styles. You can also convert the Drummer track to midi and make changes, and even send to another drum vst. I’m more of a real instrument person, but the vst’s and plugins I have used, are certainly useable for media production.

#24444 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Got me wondering if I can use Addictive Drums midi loops , convert them to midi tracks, and then alter them with drummer. Then use them in either Drummer in Logic or bring them back into AD.

I’ve used Omnisphere for just about everything. It’s a big beautiful synth, I’m still learning how to use. Getting very into creating my own patches or altering presets these days. But back about 4 years ago I was looking hard at either Omnisphere or Alchemy, and went with Omnisphere. But Logic includes Alchemy now, and Apple gave it a major revision when they bought it. Was wondering what people (with more synth expertise myself which isn’t asking much 🙂 ) thought of it.

Thanks for getting me thinking on Drummer.

#24445 Reply
    Per Boysen
    Participant

I think Logic’s synths are just as good as any other (Ohmnisphere, Kontakt etc). Every electronic virtual instrument has its own personality so it all depends on what you are after. The ES2 is my go-to VI for “synthy” sounds and for DX-type sounds I also look first at Logic’s EFM1. Same goes for organ sounds, very broad organ palette in Logic, and clavinet type sounds. The clavinet VI offers useful synth harp sounds BTW. The sampler EXS24 has a big library as well, lots of sampled analog synths that might come in handy.

Stuff I do not look inside Logic for are real orchestral sounds like the what you can get for Kontakt 5 (using lots of libraries by Spitfire Audio and of course LASS).

IMHO the good thing with Drummer is its semi artificial intelligence, rather than the sounding drum kits available. I typically use Drummer to quickly sketch up a drumming performance along the entire song length. Then I mute the Drummer track and copy its content onto a MIDI track that I arm with a sounding drum kit. The reason for this is that I can then slap a the MIDI fx Randomizer on that track and automate its “Output Offset” to imply parts of looser vs harder drumming through the song. That’s kind of the “top of the iceberg” of what I find helpful in using Logic.

#24449 Reply
    Paolo

Hey Chuck,

I’ve gotten a lot of placements using Logic’s Drummer and it’s now my go-to Drummer. I think it would be an excellent use of time and resources to learn it.

Once you create your song arrangement (intro, verse, chorus bridge etc, Logic’s drummer creates a matching drum arrangement. But I never leave it at that because it sounds (to me) too predictable and common. But you can tweak each drum section – busy/sparse, less drums/crashes, double-time/half-time, swing/straight 8ths etc.

#24480 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

I love Drummer! Intuitive and great sounding. As for synths, I love the Alchemy package that comes with Logic Pro now. That used to cost more than Logic as a standalone, and now comes free with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Logic plugs, synths , etc….
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us