Logic Pro X

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I am new to Logic Pro X having made the jump from Pro Tools. The IMac drive I have is pretty small so I am using a wd passport drive for my samples. Technically to get the most I should also have a second drive to store my projects/audio on . Yes it’s recommended to get an external drive and I have no glitches with it.If you don’t already have a quality synth Alchemy alone may be worth the price of admission – or even if you do. But I already own Omnisphere , am starting to get fairly familiar with it, and prefer the sound of it.

#22915 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

The problem I have with not upgrading is that eventually stuff ends up breaking down. Computers wear out, and you are forced to buy another one, probably going with their new OS only to find out that your DAW no longer works with it, you also have to upgrade programs x y and z if you want those to work also. So typically I will upgrade software I care about, as a maintenance issue rater then because I want all the new latest and greatest toys it has to offer. More because I don’t want to be in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on a computer to find I now also have to spend hundreds more upgrading software. Been doing this dance with Pro Tools and Mac forever and it drove me out of recording before. Maybe one good argument for using hardware. On the other hand I know a lot of folks who don’t regularly upgrade that seem to do just fine. Any solutions to this would be welcome, but may be worth another thread.

#22917 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Does anyone have any advice for me. I have a mid 2010 13? Macbook Pro, and I’d like to install Logic Pro X. But I know I will first need to get more RAM and upgrade to Yosemite 10.10 before it will allow me to install.

These are the specs for Logic Pro X. Look like it will run with 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

4GB of RAM
    Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher
    OS X v10.9.5 or later
    Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
    Minimum 6GB of disk space. 49GB of optional content available via in-app download.

I’ve been able to get nearly 10 years out of computers by adding RAM etc. I was using a second 2006 MAC Pro tower as a slave until recently when VEPRO updated and required OS 10.8 to work. I just boosted my main MAC (2010 MAC PRO 12-core OS 10.9) to 48 GB RAM.

The only thing that I’m seriously considering at the moment is getting a PC slave because EW libraries run better on them.

Bottomline –don’t ditch your 2010 machine.

_Michael

#22921 Reply
    Mojo Rising

ok thanks everyone for the responses! I appreciate that. MichaelL do you think I also would need the SSD like a Samsung Pro, or just the added RAM? Looks like I can do both for about $200. I have been writing/creating music my whole life and licensing it for the past 4 years or so. But most of the stuff I have, was done either in a studio or with partners who were experienced engineers. This is my first plunge in to owning my own DAW and doing my own engineering. I figured Logic Pro X seems the most user friendly? Plus I”m a mac user. I’m glad to hear you think I can get more life out of this Macbook! I just don’t want to do all these upgrades and then find that Logic runs super slow.

#22925 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

Hi,
    I installed a SSD 500 gb and 16 gb of ram in my early 2011 13 inch macbook pro and it was like getting a new computer . Recommended!

#22926 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I have an early 2011 13 notebook as well and have been thinking of doing the same. It is definitely cheaper than buying a new one. Thanks for the suggestion.

#22929 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I appreciate that. MichaelL do you think I also would need the SSD like a Samsung Pro, or just the added RAM?

I don’t know what that would do for a Macbook. Both of my MACs are MAC PRO towers.

I think there’s still life in your computer, even if just as a second machine.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Logic Pro X
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us