looking for cpu recommendations

Home Forums DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) looking for cpu recommendations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gdomeier
    Participant

I upgraded my workstation a number of years ago and it’s performance is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I’m starting to look at building a new daw workstation. Just wondering what you fine folks recommend for the cpu. I’m not looking for a cutting edge solution, but rather one a few gens back that still give good performance.

What say you?

#27291 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m on a PC and use Sonar from Cakewalk. Anytime I change computers I go to Cakewalk’s forum to find those kinds of answers. I would suggest you try the forum of whatever software you are using.

#27294 Reply
    MattStarling
    Participant

What’s your DAW?

#27296 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Just looked and the last one I bought was from http://www.studiocat.com back in 2013. Didn’t realize it was that old but still serves me well! Might have to start thinking about a new one.

Pro Rack

Power-Supply 750w quiet

Haswell CPU 4770 @ 3.9GHz (8 thr..

RAM 32GB DDR3/1600

OS drive 1TB HD

Audio drive 1TB HD

Samples drive 1 2TB HD

Burner 24x DVD/RW

Video HD4600

Add TI chipset Firewire For all others

Operating System Windows 7 x64 Pro

#27298 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

I use fl studio. Looks like they have a recommendation page.

https://support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=214

#27299 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks gdomeier. That’s a great page and worth reading.

#27312 Reply
    MattStarling
    Participant

That was a good page worth reading. That being said I’d like to add that your usage habits can certainly inform your computer purchases. for example, if you routinely produce projects with dozens of tracks containing sophisticated synth and sampler plugins then you really will need to invest in a very good processor and a lot of RAM. However if you generally keep your projects to fewer than 16 tracks and you mainly record audio and don’t generally use a lot of resource hungry plugins then in this day and age even an entry level or used machine can do the job. I have a ten year old laptop that is still very capable of handling simple jobs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #27294 in looking for cpu recommendations
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us