Looking for Feedback on some tracks

Home Forums Critiques Looking for Feedback on some tracks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrianMcGravey
    Participant

I’ve gathered what I believe to be 3 of my best cues that I have sitting on the shelf. Each one is drastically different in style and use.

Here is a link to the soundcloud. I would love some advice and feedback!

#29353 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hmmm, I’m not sure..

I would say to try the Non-Exclusives Libraries, and see who bites.

If you look in the “MLR 475+ Libraries section” and set the filters; it will give you a list. Read the reviews, get in contact, and ,are sure you follow their FAQ’s requirements for submitting music/cues.

Also, with a Baseline, and “Trap Styled Drums”, Haunted Mansion could be a Hip Hop placement. Just saying..

#29354 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Hi Brian, if I may, the smooth jazz track is too repetitive. I don’t recall hearing even a single drum fill. The sounds are very “MIDI” and quantized. Needs more “real” swing. I could hear breaking things up by say after a phrase doing a stop on beat one and filling out the rest of the bar with a drum, bass or piano fill. Something like that to make it interesting.

You never know what type of track gets used, but with smooth jazz you’ll be competing with tracks performed on real instruments that will have a more convincing feel.

My two cents…

#29357 Reply
    BrianMcGravey
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Really good points. Do you have any suggestions of how to make a Midi drum track sound more real? I know it’ll never be as good as the real thing but I’m sure there have been countless placements of music that uses midi drums.

#29360 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Do you have any suggestions of how to make a Midi drum track sound more real?

Think like a drummer. Don’t program things that are impossible for a real drummer to do, like a snare drum hitting at the same time as a cymbal roll. That would take three hands. Real drummers play fills, accent hits and catch rhythmic phrases of the song. Consider ghost notes, they’ll add a sense of realism. Purchase pre recorded MIDI drum patterns, most likely recorded on a MIDI drum kit.

Or give up on MIDI. I personally am a loop guy and have gotten pretty good at manipulating recorded phrases to create convincing parts. I have a live room and mics for recording real drums. You could also take advantage of one of the many services offering live drum parts for your songs via the internet.

#29389 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Michael,

I do live drum tracks.

Hit me up on a PM.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #29353 in Looking for Feedback on some tracks
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us