Lowest Sync fee for a National TV Ad you've seen…

Home Forums General Questions Lowest Sync fee for a National TV Ad you've seen…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

We’ll all drive ourselves nuts going in circles, like the old guys who gather for lunch at McDonald’s everyday to complain about the way things are, and how much better it was “back in the day.”

To be honest, when I was getting $1,500 or $3,000 to produce a 30 second spot, after I paid the musicians and the studio, there wasn’t much more left for me than what songloft got paid. And… I didn’t get backend. But, in most instances, I balanced that by retaining ownership of the compositions.

I don’t want to see $1 fees either, which is why I don’t put cues into those libraries. I just licensed a RF cue for $169. It was a cue that I wrote five years ago, so to me it’s pennies from heaven, which helps to pay the bills, while I write more.

Music, like many other things, has been commodified by competition. It’s like selling suits “off the rack now,” witness the plethora of U2/Coldpay soundalikes. We’re well into what Alvin Toffler predicted 40+ years ago in “Future Shock.”

That being said, I think we’re experiencing a lot of what I’ll call the local evening news phenomena. Local news tends to focus on the negative, like who got shot at 3am walking home from the subway. Repeated exposure to those stories, makes suburbanites, far from the violence, fear for their lives, irrationally.

There was a composer interview last year, in which the writer said that he/she was making 100K from RF libraries alone. It hardly caused a blip on the radar. But,the more I look around, I notice a number of people doing fairly well. I think what’s happening is that many of those doing well simply don’t post here, or participate in these circular debates. They are too busy.

The same thing happens on another forum, where a handful of “old” flim composers dominate to conversation, which tends to be about how bad things are now, compared to the “glory days.”

This is not to say that things aren’t different now than they were before. I’m just not convinced that things are worse. Because of the way I work, and the way that I’m adjusting to the business, I see opportunity.

Unfortunately that is often the case, what one person sees as decline, another sees as opportunity.

More Advice

I agree with you Michael L. Trying to buddy up with that powerful creative director and executive producer at the agencies I mentioned above is a very tall order. I’ve played that game before. If people want 20K post score assignments, you’d better become best friends with all the CD’s at the biggest ad agencies in the world and hope they are nice enogh to set aside that coin in the budget. Otherwise leverage your catalog to generate as many RF sales as possible, needle drops, and as many back end royalty placements into TV shows as possible.

The 100K earners in RF land, though, are really only about .001% of all the players playing this game. Jared is probably making 500K a quarter in royalties. You all know who I’m talking about…

Mark Holden

NOBODY worked that spot for pittance except the music providers.

MichaelL’s point is well-taken. That’ll teach me to choose my words with more care, unlike my quote above! I should’ve stressed the service, the JOB the music was providing as an element of the spot without commensurate compensation. Touche!

More Advice wrote:

It all sucks, but like I said earlier $1 pay days are right around the corner for the 30 second commercial. It’s probably already happened.

Then we’re in a whole lotta trouble, aren’t we? There’s no living in that and little economic reason to create those tracks. It reminds me of what Groucho Marx said after the Crash of 1929, “The jig is up.”

-Mark Holden

SongLoft
    Participant

Thanks again for everyone sharing their insight on this. I’ve been trying to give this library the benefit of the doubt so haven’t filled out the review section yet but will be sure to warn others if it turns out they ARE stealing sync money, not paying etc.

As for more background details:

The invoice job description sent to my co-writer is listed as “Dawn Test Spot: Dawn Wildlife / Open Cinematic”

This lead me and my co-writer to theorize an agency had downloaded the track as a “test” needle drop and then maybe didn’t disclose it was going to air…

Regardless, my suspicions have been raised since they missed my last payment and the president won’t even respond to my inquiries on this.
    I’ve been completely polite up to this point. I’ve emailed the president 4 times, left 2 voicemails and every time I call the secretary he’s “not at his desk”…

The library in question landed me some nice trailer placements in the past but that was back in 05′-07′ and they have different staff now.
    Their placements in past few years have not been good but I figured a spot like this would have been a few thousand even in the climate of rock-bottom music licensing fees.

Tbone
    Participant

How long has it been since you first contacted them and they haven’t replied?

SongLoft
    Participant

I’ve emailed the president Oct. 17th, 23rd and 30th asking why I hadn’t seen a statement. No reply.
    Another staff member did reply on 23rd telling me to deal with president for statement issues.

I’ve started calling last week and leaving voicemails.

My tone has always been polite and friendly, so I have no other conclusion other than I’m being purposefully ignored.

I’m figuring I’ll try one more round of contact before my tone changes and I let them know I’ll be “forced to involve my attorney” yada yada

Just sucks to have to reach that point as there’s no going back and the relationship gets blown up.

More advice

Just contact the agency producer and ask if the spot officially aired.

http://www.kaplanthaler.com/

ask: can you please transfer me to the producer for Dawn, I love the music on their new commercial and I want to find out who composed it?

fauxmusicsupe

Until the license term is divulged there’s nothing to discuss.

wilx2
    Participant

Just contact the agency producer and ask if the spot officially aired.

I would NOT do this …yet.

First of all, it IS airing (see above). and second, its first air date was june 17. That’s less than 5 months ago. a tiny bit late, but definitely not unheard of to be that late on a sync fee or a notification. It may still be on the way. maybe.

MichaelL
    Participant

Until the license term is divulged there’s nothing to discuss.

Faux man, don’t be calm and rational. We’re adopting scorched earth policy around here, burning bridges and all. 😀

More advice

Wilx 2…if it did air, the music was decided on 1 week before the air date of June 17, and someone cleared the music. A license was granted PRIOR to the spot going to air, and even the most lame agencies will pay up within 60 to 75 days so my guess is that the library was paid in August. You know I listened again, and what makes this even more disturbing is the fact that there are background vocals on the track which usually means a SAG contract can get filed so the vocalists can collect residuals and get paid “per play” for network airtime….especially for PROCTOR and GAMBLE!!

This really is a big turn of events, P&G has always been a company that hires agencies that are signatory to the SAG union. All on camera actors and VO Talents will earn residuals, but the singers won’t get paid because the track was discovered in a library…or…. Hmmm…. perhaps the library decided to make themselves be the singers on the SAG contract? I’ve seen this kind of stuff before guys! I am not accusing…just thinking out loud of all the possible things that can happen and I’ve seen happen. Keep up the investigation especially since your calls are being ignored…The library has to be straight with you.

Songloft, do you live in the USA?

SongLoft
    Participant

Yeah I live in NYC.
    I’m actually the one doing the vocals but not a member of SAG.
    (still a 3k initiation fee??)

The commercial has been airing since June and my 50/50 co-writer was paid a $62.50 sync fee for this spot in a statement he received from the library six weeks ago.
    That’s how I know I’m owed a payment / statement from them and they’ve already been paid by agency.

I’ve thought about contacting agency directly but up until now
    (1) Out of respect to the library did not want to resort to that
    (2) figured the chances of the agency producer divulging their music budget to a stranger was slim to nil.

More Advice

Has the license been divulged or is the library still dodging your e-0mails and calls hoping you will be satisfied with $62.50 for a national P&G spot?

SongLoft
    Participant

Hey More Advice

They still haven’t responded to any of my emails or phone calls. Every time I call the secretary the president is “away from his desk.”

Pretty weird behavior as I’ve been getting a regular check from them for years… all they needed to do was make good on the payment I was owed and say something like “yeah we let that one go for too little money but prices are down everywhere etc.”

If I library has to lower prices to stay competitive I can understand that. To ignore a contracted composer going on 7 attempts is suspect to say the least.

I’ve already contacted my attorney about it and hope to have an update next week.

Tbone
    Participant

So they haven’t actually paid you for this placement, but they have paid your cowriter? Is that correct?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘Lowest Sync fee for a National TV Ad you've seen…’ is closed to new replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us