LUFS targets for submissions

Home Forums General Questions LUFS targets for submissions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Vlad
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I know we’ve discussed loudness before and I did read the threads at MLR that I thought addressed this topic, but I feel like they are possibly a little dated (unless I missed some threads).

Any thoughts on LUFS when submitting to what is perceived to be a really good tier library?

I know Art had previously mentioned 11 LUFS as a volume target, and I do feel comfortable hitting that. (Obviously all of this is genre dependent, etc). Part of me is afraid that I’m not pushing mixes hard enough volume-wise, thus losing the battle to other tracks.

Anyone pushing their submissions to commercial volume levels or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

#41711 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m pushing mine to 9 now.

#41716 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Mine is 9 too.

#41717 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Looks like I will be shooting for 9 now!

#41724 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

-14 LUFS here.

#41912 Reply
    John
    Participant

Do you guys mean -9 integrated lufs or just for the loud parts?

#42035 Reply
    DavidSharp
    Participant

-14 LUFS for me

#42073 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I’m a -14.
    I was surprised to see -9’s here. I’m not saying that’s wrong, but I would like to hear some justification for that. If our target ears are A&R directors and post production folks, why slam it like that (unless the genre calls for it)?

#42074 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I took my tip from a longtime friend composer/mastering engineer, of many decades.

#42081 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Hi Art, did your buddy articulate the exact reasons why? (To be competitive, etc.)

Despite my post above, shooting for 9 just isn’t feeling right for my music (on most tracks). I think I’m settling in between 11-10 (although I’d prefer 14, since that feels much more dynamic to me).

#42084 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

He did but I don’t remember. I know that one of his clients is a library. Let me modify my original comment: he shoots between 9-10 LUFS

#42085 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Hi Art,

Okay, fair enough!

#42087 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

-9 for the loud parts for me.

#42150 Reply
    echoflex
    Participant

Not sure if it’s different in other areas of post, but as a video editor of 25 years, we are not looking at LUFS. We drop the track in and immediately turn it down at least 10dB and see how it sounds with the VO (I do mostly ads and promos).

#42151 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Great info, echoflex. Thanks for sharing. Do you choose the music, or is that someone else’s job? I would love to hear from someone who auditions potential music for a spot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: LUFS targets for submissions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us