Making my dream come true

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Making my dream come true

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kallin
    Participant

Hi all!

I read The bedroom super producer, where this site was mentioned and decided to give it a go!

Have been a musician for 20 years, and have been learning to produce electronic music for around 8. Dreaming of one day working 100% with music so now I’m doing my research.

Haven’t sold any of my songs, but we all have to start somewhere!

I love many genres of music and am aiming to make movie music type cues, electronica, piano music and more.

Would love to come in contact with people for some mentoring so if anyone would be kind enough to let me ask a few questions about their personal experiences, that would be awesome!

#27359 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Hi Kallin,

congrats !!! Please feel free to ask any questions and people will respond. We have a healthy and helpful little community here, cheers

MM

#27377 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Welcome! There are many here just like you. I started doing this about 3 years ago. I’m not full-time yet, but it’s slowly ramping up. Persistence and getting better is the key!

#27378 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

Hi both and thanks! Would either of you mind to answer some questions? Interested in how you got started etc!

#27379 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Nutshell… started off in RF libraries. Still belong to a few but slowly saw that revenue decrease so knocked on library doors, got into a few, worked more on cues for TV, started getting placements and have watched my PRO statement slowly grow.

#27381 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

OK, and how hard did you find it getting into the business? I have songs in one library but barely have any listeners, figured I’d use this site to find ones suitable for me!

#27382 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

OK, and how hard did you find it getting into the business?

A couple of things you should know.

“It’s a marathon not a sprint”

“Patience and persistence”

#27383 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

I’m well aware, thanks.

#27386 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Kallin,
    Welcome to “living the dream” haha. Here is a post id did a couple of years ago that may interest you:

5 Year Report

I suggest you spend a week or two reading MLR threads in reverse before you ask general questions about the business. You will have to wade through some banter and grumpy composer posts, but you will likely find answers to all of your questions. And definitely pay for full access. This site was free when I stumbled on it. I bought a lifetime membership the day Art decided it was time he got paid for his hard work. There is a treasure trove of info on this site.

#27387 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

Hey Alan!

Thanks for your input, your post was very interesting!

Yeah, I realise the road is long, but I am looking at it as a long term investment. At the moment I am also looking for indie filmmakers to include my music for free, just for the love of the art.

Started looking at the library listings and posts here and I agree, the site definitely seems worth paying for!

#27389 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

At the moment I am also looking for indie filmmakers to include my music for free

Giving away music for free is not going to jump start your career. You are basically saying your hard work has no value. And once the bar is set to free, these filmmakers will always expect your music to be free. When it isn’t, they’ll just move on to the next guy giving away music. Don’t start out this way.

#27390 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

Giving away music for free is not going to jump start your career.

I wrote “for the love of the art”, where did you get jump starting my career from?

#27391 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I wrote “for the love of the art”, where did you get jump starting my career from?

From your original post:
    “Dreaming of one day working 100% with music so now I’m doing my research.”
    “Haven’t sold any of my songs, but we all have to start somewhere!”

#27392 Reply
    Kallin
    Participant

At the moment I am also looking for indie filmmakers to include my music for free, just for the love of the art.

Much easier if you just would have read the complete sentence, maybe?

#27393 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Yes, it does seem like it would have been much easier. Please ignore my post/advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Reply #27381 in Making my dream come true
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us