Maximizing Track Count

Home Forums Commentary Maximizing Track Count

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I just finished a nice instrumental Funk que to send to one of my Exclusives. I was tooling with the idea of having my pal do a Vocal track over the Que and send that one to another Exclusive Lib as another song.

Is this a little sly?

The only way I can see a conflict is if the Lib that has the Track with vocals, needs a bed version. I would obviously avoid having identical Exclusives.

#28395 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was tooling with the idea of having my pal do a Vocal track over the Que and send that one to another Exclusive Lib as another song.

Not something I would do.

#28396 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

A little sleazy? 🙂 . The idea just crossed my mind as a “What if”.

I mean they are technically different songs.

#28397 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

No, they are a vocal version and instrumental version of the same song.

#28398 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Bad idea.

#28399 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Exactly, what LAwriter said. Moreover, if either exclusive library takes ownership of the copyright you would be infringing on their copyright. The addition or deletion of vocals does not create a new work. It creates a derivative work based on the underlying original.

#28400 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

Bad idea

#28401 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

LAWriter to The Res”cue”!!

Bad JUJU!!

Just do the vocals over the existing track, and then write a new music bed to it..

It creates a derivative work based on the underlying original.

MichaelL!!

#28402 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I get the sense we all just got trolled.

There are some legit ways to ‘clone’ a track but slapping some vocals over the full mix isn’t one of them.

#28403 Reply
    Danny

Hey Mark,

It’s in my own words “A little sleazy? ? . The idea just crossed my mind as a “What if””.

I am a member here who is participates in conversation quite often but I don’t troll.

Interesting enough how some members say they use a same bed track but change a melody around a little and use that as another track.

I hope nobody got the wrong idea. I guess sarcasm is subjective 🙂

#28404 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Interesting enough how some members say they use a same bed track but change a melody around a little and use that as another track.

I’m not sure who is saying that, but if the tracks are placed exclusively, that’s very dangerous ground.

In this biz, the one thing that must be guarded more than anything else is “relationships”. I’d have a VERY hard time explaining that to any of the people I work with.

Why not just write a new track? If you have to, use the same template, arrangement, form, groove, or whatever, but start from scratch.

#28405 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I have repurposed tracks a few times ONLY for non exclusives and the resulting track would be very different from the original, a EDM version of rock track for example. I always call them by the same name with an addendum like Redux or similar.This makes sense if a popular track works musically in a different genre (most don’t) and someone may seek more than an Alt track.

In general it makes no sense as its quicker to start from scratch, as well as the legal and ethical minefield if you did this with exclusives. As LA writer said you build up reputations with these libraries and something like this would flush that down the toilet.

#28406 Reply
    Danny

In general it makes no sense as its quicker to start from scratch, as well as the legal and ethical minefield if you did this with exclusives. As LA writer said you build up reputations with these libraries and something like this would flush that down the toilet.

I was speaking to an owner of a well respected Exclusive Lib a few weeks ago. He told me I would be surprised how many tracks he has received that were written for his Lib, then placed in a RF or visa versa.

Pretty sleazy……………………….

#28407 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I occasionally reuse parts of a track if I put in a lot of work creating it. Usually for me it is re-using a drum part of percussion track.
    For example, I do a swing track for a music call. I program a good drum part and come up with a good set of changes. You better believe that it will become at LEAST two tracks. They will be in different keys, different tempos, have different instruments and maybe a slightly different form.

I will usually sent both in to the same music call and the publisher is fine with it or probably doesn’t even notice.

#28409 Reply
    Advice

Illegal (contract/copyright violation) and unethical, do not do this. The underlying bed is part of the vocal song that was signed over to the exclusive library.

I assume you wouldn’t want others to violate the contracts they sign with YOU.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #28396 in Maximizing Track Count
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us