Metadata – Wow!

Home Forums Newbie Questions Metadata – Wow!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SY1000
    Participant

OMG. I’m trying to do the right thing and be mindful of providing consistently fulsome and accurate metadata embedding into my tracks. I see lots of software for music consumers but unsure if it’s fully relevant to composers. My DAW and stereo mastering/mixdown software don’t provide enough fields so I’ve been looking for a stand-alone solution.

The experienced composers and syncers here are gonna know the data I want to embed. I know what I need to include. What i need to know are that programs that:
    – allow you to add data fields
    – allow you to create a template that holds your default info and you can apply that template to all your tracks at once? Then fill in the unique data per track
    – the data remains with the track no matter where you upload/embed/email it

Audacity and mp3tag seem to be ok (I bought them) but I’d really appreciate a no-nonsense program that does the task reliably and with confidence.

Thanks!

#35864 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

My DAW and stereo mastering/mixdown software don’t provide enough fields so I’ve been looking for a stand-alone solution.

I assume you are talking MP3 files. The problem is, if you are arbitrarily creating extra fields in some kind of MP3 software (I don’t know if such software exists) it will not do much good if it can’t be read by other MP3 software. There are competing standards out there as it is. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Personally I like Mp3tag, especially the batch function. That alone allows me to update hundreds of files at a time.

#35865 Reply
    ORPM
    Participant

Yes I like Florian Heidenreich’s mp3tag very much and its free!!! It also lets you tag wav files but remember: those tags can be removed and changed by anybody…

#35869 Reply
    SY1000
    Participant

It also lets you tag wav files but remember: those tags can be removed and changed by anybody

Yes that’s the other thing I noticed on my metadata research journey. Insecurity of data. I’m surprised there isn’t an industry standard and metadata is able to be locked to a composition. Of course there’s myriad hurdles to overcome but the technology must exist.

#36059 Reply
    Denis Kavemeier

I just added metadata and album art to nearly 500 .aif files of mixes and stems for about 30 songs. I used the handy app Metadatics, and it took only a couple of hours. The metadata and art shows up when I import the audio files into ITunes. I

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #35865 in Metadata – Wow!
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us